Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Well with my lot I use short link couplers on two pairs and Max and Skye go on normal leads, and I pair them up as follows Onyx and Jess and Ruby and Jet.

The reason I pair these up like this is because both Jess and Jet are still very young, so they take their lead from the older dogs Ruby and Onyx.

So when anyone see me walking down the street I have on my left Skye on her normal lead on the outside then Jet and on the inside is Ruby. ME. Onyx, Jess Max on his normal lead on the outside.

So basically I put the oldest dogs on the outside, the youngest in the middle and then the middle aged ones on the inside.

The reason I use short link couple leads is for two reasons. Firstly it keeps them from going in different directions to each other and secondly you need to have the shortest distance between them and you for proper lead control.

The other thing you have got to do when walking alot of dogs is teach them all to responded to one overall command. So when I'm out and I get to a road I just say "sit" and six backside go down in one. You shouldn't have to be using all of their different name with the command as you will be there all day.

If you find that you have got one that keeps walking faster then the others, then reduce the length of his/her lead so he/she stays in line with the others. It will only be a couple of good walks before he/she will get the message to stay in line.
thanks ............great info
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
petstalk how many cavaliers do you have now ...i can;t remember LOL
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Thats having a typical Ckcs
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I have 4 CKCS now Inca and one 14 yr old this yr Collie.

Min x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
took 4 today ......you know i reckon its hard on ya own they seem to pull to out do each other now on her own the pup walks like a dream on walks with the others she jumps up at me and anyone that passes I wonder if its an attention to be higher in pack
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 08:25 PM
4 is my limit at any one time I think but it's more about how many extras I can control alongside Maddy as she's the only one who causes any problems. She's generally great as long as there's no other dogs. maybe see which ones walk best with each other and go from there?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
4 is my limit at any one time I think but it's more about how many extras I can control alongside Maddy as she's the only one who causes any problems. She's generally great as long as there's no other dogs. maybe see which ones walk best with each other and go from there?
Have you tried to put a short couple lead on her and one of the better behaved dogs you have.

You can get link leads which go from collar to collar and the lead is attached to just one of the dogs.

So you could still have the lead on maddy and just have a link lead coming off of her onto a well behaved dog. So not only is she receiving your commands but also seeng how to behave by watching your other dog walking beside her.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
took 4 today ......you know i reckon its hard on ya own they seem to pull to out do each other now on her own the pup walks like a dream on walks with the others she jumps up at me and anyone that passes I wonder if its an attention to be higher in pack
I know my youngest Is looking to get higher in the pack.

When I started walking my youngest together with the others, she was the same. I put her on her own on other side and was only allowed to walk together with others when walking properly. xxxx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2