View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Captain Proton
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-11-2004, 02:21 AM

How does the bitch react/cope after all the pups have gone?

Im curious, say theres been a litter of 4 pups, they all get sold. How the bloody hell does the mother cope? obviously she will know her pups are gone, but after a few weeks just she just go back to being a normal everyday dog? no lasting effects or never seeing her pups again? Or is it like some animals in the wild where the pups are expected to leave once they get a certain age?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-11-2004, 02:49 AM
lol - they are probably glad to get rid of them! Imagine looking after 10 babies all by yourself! :shock:
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2004, 05:19 AM
I agree with eRaze. Once the pups are weaned the dam is probably glad to see the back of them :D
northern pack
New Member!

26-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Got one example at home! Can't see that the dam has any "motherly" feelings towards her daughter - they just get along! :D
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 08:38 AM
I agree, mum is glad to see the back of them.
It's funny how they are so protective for the first few weeks, then they do their best to keep away from them :lol:
Also it's usually spread over the days. It's not like she has a litter of pups one day, then all gone the next. One pup might go every other day or so. So I suppose she gets used to it.
I bet they are thinking, great 3 gone, 3 to go. :lol: :lol:

Mitch
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 08:41 AM
mine look releaved........... i never let mine go at once...I stagger them going to make it easier for me i think ...... honestly the mums really don't seem to care.............
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 10:43 AM
in my experience the bitches seem only too glad to get rid of them once they've reached 7 weeks. :lol:
Annestaff
Supervisor

26-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Cassy was only too glad to see her little darlings go :lol: but Ruby got quite sad when her pups went and spent hours looking round the house for them even though we kept one out of the litter.

Ruby's searching behaviour only lasted about half a day and out of all of mine she is the dog which is least interested in the pup now.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 11:38 AM
I know how I'd feel if I had up to 12 youngsters round me. I'd be only to glad to see the back of them, lol.
Meg
Supervisor

26-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi CP :) as the others say the bitch is usually glad the pups have gone. From the time the pups begin to grow and play boisterously you start to take the bitch away from the pups for a while to give her a break, by the time the pups are weaned the bitch is away from them most of the time. With the many bitches I have cared for the pups have been in a low pen under a lamp giving the bitch the opportunity to be with the pups or not as she pleases. :lol: Imagine all those little sharp teeth nipping you :shock: the poor bitch must get very sore, as a mother who breast fed for 9 months I have some little idea how a nursing bitch must feel :lol:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >