Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
celiafrances
New Member!
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Crusty mouth problem which keeps recurring

We're having recurring problems with Oscar's mouth as he keeps developing black crusty/scabby bits around the side of his mouth/gumline. He's had antibiotics for this before but it keeps coming back. Any idea how best to prevent it/treat it - don't want to keep putting him on antibiotics all the time..... it's bothering him now too, as he doesn't want to chew his tennis ball - which is not like him at all! I have a spray 'Nolvadent' which I don't think is doing the job really.... any ideas?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by celiafrances View Post
We're having recurring problems with Oscar's mouth as he keeps developing black crusty/scabby bits around the side of his mouth/gumline. He's had antibiotics for this before but it keeps coming back. Any idea how best to prevent it/treat it - don't want to keep putting him on antibiotics all the time..... it's bothering him now too, as he doesn't want to chew his tennis ball - which is not like him at all! I have a spray 'Nolvadent' which I don't think is doing the job really.... any ideas?
hi

gumline or lips

could you be meaning 'lip fold dermatitis' ?
celiafrances
New Member!
Female 

18-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I suppose it's lips as it is on the outside.....
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 10:05 PM
....sounds like it could be to me..... u need to use something like hibiscrub(diluted with water) and with cotton wool scrub the crust off..and keep it off..bathe twice a day at least after eating
it may bleed a little at first
..do u have any fuciderm?

eta..i would advise trimming the hair around the area too.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Wondering if he has some sort of allergy? If it is grass or something like that, I know Scratch got a funny thing happening at the sides of his mouth at one point, I used diluted malesb or chlorhexidine , trying to make sure it didn't go in his mouth, twice a day and that seemed to clear it up.
celiafrances
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks for that folks. Think I'll take him to vet just to confirm - will the hibiscrub need to be on prescription do you know?

Much appreciated!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Perhaps it's an allergy to something in his tennis ball? Try changing him to a different toy and see if that helps.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by celiafrances View Post
Thanks for that folks. Think I'll take him to vet just to confirm - will the hibiscrub need to be on prescription do you know?

Much appreciated!
Definitely take him back to the vets if the antibiotics haven't worked.

Hibiscrub can be bought at most pharmacists, it doesn't need a prescription & it will be far more expensive if you get it through your vet.

Do dogs get "canine acne"? From your description it sounds very similar to feline acne.