View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
newbreed
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2012, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=MerlinsMum;2470698]Far as I know, the word Pinscher is German and comes from there. I'd need to look it up but I think it derives from a sharp snappy dog like a terrier which will kill vermin quickly, with a "pinch" bite.

thanks we lean somthing new every day
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 10:22 AM
We had our first alsation in 1963 and that is what everyone called them then. On her pedigree I seem to remember GSD was in brackets. I still have it somewhere. Don't know when it was swopped round?

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Well, the general public is convinced I have alsations.....
It`s not something that bothers me tbh.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
We had our first alsation in 1963 and that is what everyone called them then. On her pedigree I seem to remember GSD was in brackets. I still have it somewhere. Don't know when it was swopped round?

rune
I bought my first German Shepherd in 1958 & not everyone incorrectly called GSDs Alsatians back them, certainly not Gwen Barrington(Brittas)who bred my bitch. The name was partially corrected in 1977, when very seekily Raymond Oppenheimer, proposed the misnomer Alsatian be put in brackets, the correct name German Shepherd Dog take it's place, at the KC's AGM & the KC were taken by surprise when it was passed unanimously. Raymond never owned a GSD(he had Bull Terriers) BTW

I personally have never owned a GSD with any english bred dogs in it's pedigree, so I have always correctly called my dogs GSDs.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3