View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Shanik, are they ok on your daughter's shoulders around the dogs?

I'd love to be able to carry them around the house but would be nervous of them jumping off me and getting hurt as we have two dogs and two cats!

I'm more than happy to have them out in a run in a separate room but would love to be able to carry them with me!

Thanks very much I can't wait, but I really have to be sensible and make sure I have room!!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I've only just caught this! I'm glad you convinced her . Can't wait to see pics of a happy Lottie and her rats!
I adore rats, but I'm allergic to them, so can't have any more .
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Lottie,

Once our rats are used to being handled and have built a bond with a person, they love to spend time with you, and like to sit on us and play peek in our hair. Our dogs are used to small animals (we have two indoor Guinea pigs too) and although none of our boys attempted to jump or run away from us I would never say never, any walking we did or our daughter does is usually just from her room to the sitting room and her hand is always near because the girls are quite young. We taught the dogs to 'lie' when we handle them and neither of my two dogs show anything other than a little curiousity. Depends on your dogs I suppose but I don't think I would trust the cat with them Rats love excercise and play though and your idea of a run sounds great!

Let us know how you get on and I can't wait to see when you get yours, remember piccies
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks

Well I've decided to keep the rats away from the other animals anyway...

Takara's chased wild rats before in the park etc. and when she corners them, she just dances for them - the same as she does for squirrels, ducks, cats... etc.

However, I wouldn't trust Eddy. He was the resident 'ratter' on the farm he used to live on so I don't trust him with small animals at all.
He never paid any attention to the cats until the other day when he chased one of them and I don't know what he'd do if he caught up with them but I don't think I want to find out, thankfully our house is sectioned off for cat and dog areas and he's too old to ever catch our cats unless they were asleep!

How could I ever forget piccies! There'll be plenty... which reminds me, I really need to charge my camera up and take some of my current beauties!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
My Mum would never have said yes and when she came to visit recently I hid my ratties in the bathroom as she turned purple and nearly exploded at the sight of our degus .......... "OMG are those rats?" she asked - innocently I said "NO" lol and raced upstairs to hide Graham and Bernard and all evidence of them!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:12 PM
hahaha! There's still time for my mum to change her mind... but hopefully we have an agreement now!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
If you want any advice, or any links to helpful websites and forums, please feel free to pm me. I know pretty much all the decent breeders in the country So should be able to help you source a pair. Am also in touch with many rescues should you wish to go that route

xx
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5