Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Adopting Deaf, White Boxer

Hi all,

Really sorry that I haven't been a part of the community for a long time, I hope you don't mind me popping in purely for advice?

I have wanted a second Boxer for some time and I have the opportunity to take on a gorgeous white bitch Boxer with one brindle ear and eye. I've met her once and she was fantastic...calm, affectionate, non-aggressive, lovely condition etc.

However, she is deaf or at the very best hard of hearing. I don't know a thing about deaf Boxers other than it can occur in white animals. Should this fact concern me? She currently is a much loved family pet and the deafness hasn't stopped her enjoying life...but what will it mean for me? How do I communicate with her?

She is 4 years old and they want £250...is that too much? However, she has got pedigree papers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
AnneW
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Hello Hammer, I do not know much about Boxers, But my friend has two, one is white, they are both lovely dogs. I lived next door to a family who had a deaf Jack Russell. He was white too. They all got on famously with the dog (I forget his name now) He lived to a ripe old age, I think he was 14. Our only problem was - when they put him out in the garden he used to bark non stop. Bless him he didn't realise he was making a noise. But as I said he was fine, a happy dog and I think they comunicated by gestures, he grew to know what they were telling him.
Just enjoy him,

Boxers are lovely, Deaf or not.

Regards
Annew
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi Hammer, good to hear from you again

Deaf dogs can and do lead happy fullfilled lives, but it does take a bit more thought on your part.

There is a website specifically aimed at owners/potential owners of deaf dogs. I'm not sure that I'm allowed to post the link because they have a forum of their own, but it is called 'd for dog' (put together) and it is a com. I think that will answer a lot of your questions.

The two main things are (1) to be safely of lead the dog has to learn to keep looking at you very frequently. If she has a tendency to chase things, you may well never be able to let her off the lead other than in enclosed areas.

The other consideration is that you just have to be a wee bit more thoughtful around her. For example, if she is asleep or has her back to you so she can't see you, you should not touch her to get attention - a stamp of the foot (unless the ground is absolutely solid) or touching her bed or waving your hand (wafts of air are sometimes enough to get their attention) are better ways.

Depending on how well your own dog's training is coming on, you may find him useful in helping out. For example, when my old boy Kip went deaf, Hoki was great at fetching him if I needed him - e.g. if he was asleep upstairs or if he had wondered into the bushes so I couldn't see him.

As for how much they are charging, that does seem quite a lot of money, but I always find it difficult to say whether something is too much - after all, can you really put a price on a dog and the affection/love they give? To my mind I think it would depend on whether you thought the owners were being greedy or whether they were asking for that amount to try to make sure that anyone interested in her were serious.

Good luck in your decision. I can appreciate that you don't have time to come on Dogsey regularly, but would love to hear the outcome and, if you do get her, to see some photos
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
She is 4 years old and they want £250...is that too much? However, she has got pedigree papers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
It is significantly more than I have ever known people rehome older dogs for before.
Sadly a deaf dog financially would not be worth a great deal, and I am sure a deaf pup would not sel for so much - even less so an older dog ......

Is she spayed?
Maybe they asking this to ensure a good home but I wuld prefer to give the money as a donation to a rescue ...

How well trained is she?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Hammer

Communication will be much easier than you think, to get you started, consider things your lad does to verbal cues - see how many of them he will do with you doing exactly the same physically to ask him to do something but without using your voice - you will be surprised at how much of the movement and posture you use without thinking about it are actually part of the package of giving a verbal cue

Indoors there may be much that a deaf dog can use in terms of you wanting their attention ie stamping on the floor, [ result will depend somewhat on type of floor ie wooden upstairs floor transfers vibration quite well ], a torch can be used instead of a clicker, that sort of thing.

Firstly if there is uncertainty as to if there is any hearing present at all I would have a BAER test done, [ it`s painless ], which costs around £25-ish [ though the breeder really should have that done as the one responsible for a deaf pup in the litter...].
The breeder via the pedigree papers should also be made aware to never repeat the same mating and to have hearing tests done on the sire and dam and the rest of the litter.

A very useful resource to get you started is a handy booklet you can get from

http://www.deaf-dogs-help.co.u/help/...ngdeafdogs.htm

Four of my dogs are deaf, [ three were born deaf because of moron breeders putting merle to merle together ], they do activities the same as hearing dogs including agility, [ including competing ], and HTM, [ just at home for something to do ].

Just the fact that you are considering this dog and asking questions tells me you are likely to have a more natural aptitude for communicating with a deaf dog much better than you think, once used to it the communication becomes second nature
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-01-2009, 08:49 PM
You really couldn't get better advice than what Patch has said above, and she's had articles in the dog press about deaf dogs as well so is well respected both on Dogsey and in the wider Dog world.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Thank you all...excellent advice, I must stay a part of this excellent community

No, she's not spayed, would it be too late at 4 years old for me to get that done?

Today is decision day, we're taking my Boxer and the white one out for a walk and a play to see if they get on.

I'm not really worried about her deafness, I'm more worried how my Benson will react who currently has my undivided attention. Do dogs feel jealousy? Should I make it clear to the new dog that Benson comes first? Or do they require equal treatment?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Thank you all...excellent advice, I must stay a part of this excellent community

No, she's not spayed, would it be too late at 4 years old for me to get that done?

Today is decision day, we're taking my Boxer and the white one out for a walk and a play to see if they get on.

I'm not really worried about her deafness, I'm more worried how my Benson will react who currently has my undivided attention. Do dogs feel jealousy? Should I make it clear to the new dog that Benson comes first? Or do they require equal treatment?
No, she's not too old to be spayed. If you do get her, ask her current owners when her last season was (the dog's not the owners) as it is usually best to spay half way between seasons. However, if she is due to come into season in the next few weeks and if Benson hasn't been neutered, it could be very awkward for you - having an intack male and female in one home is a nightmare (just ask Shona!). There is an injection you can get to stop the season but you'd be best speaking to your vet before deciding to take the girl home.

It is said that dogs don't have the same emotions as humans, but imo I think they do display some similar emotions and personally I think they can get jealous. However, in most cases with a male and female, the female will be the boss and if this is how it worked out if you get this girl, it would not be a good thing for you to put Benson first.

I know this sounds tough and unfair, but honestly, Benson will be much happier if you accept this as all three of you will know your place and be happy with it, whereas if you favour Benson, this may well cause upset between the two dogs.

But you do have to watch how they interact with each other and be prepared for a few spats until they sort out between them who is boss. Once they have established it between them, you should try not to do things that will upset their structure (but this doesn't mean allowing one dog to be a complete bully of the other).

They also likely to behave differently when on neutral ground than on existing home territory.

Having said all that, some dogs are more bothered about pack structure than others and it may be that Benson and the bitch get on fine without either 'being the boss'.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Hope it all goes well today

For more info on deaf white boxers I would give Sheila Dawson a call (01772 690 458 ). She runs the White Boxer Rescue.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I know this sounds tough and unfair, but honestly, Benson will be much happier if you accept this as all three of you will know your place and be happy with it, whereas if you favour Benson, this may well cause upset between the two dogs.
I agree, try to see how Benson and the new one intereact, if Benson is older and stronger and has obviously been there longer he may try to be the Alpha dog, but if he is a gentle soul and submissive he may let the new dog be the Alpha.

As Hali says don't favour one or the other and once they've established the hierachy all will be well 'cos (unlike humans) they don't carry grudges and they accept the status quo.

There might be a bit growling and snapping to begin with, watch it and only intervene if it looks like getting really nasty which I doubt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >