Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mika-o1
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:24 PM

10 month old puppy still mouthing

I have a 10 month old husky who is still mouthing for attention, you can stroke her for as long as you like but once you stop she starts biting, but its not a nasty bite, if you try and get her by the scruff to tell her no she then trys to jump away and gets annoyed with you but not in a nasty way. She also jumps, have tried turning away but she is so heavy that you cant knock her down, i really need help, she is quite a hyper dog, her breed and age dont help, any advice
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I always say ah ah to my Bernese if he mouths to rough which he sometimes does in excitement he is now 2. With the jumping up I would turn my back and say sit very firmly works for Ollie he now knows by my voice when I am annoyed he very rarely jumps now. She may think the pushing is a game.
She is still young at 10 months and learning.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Best advice - go to training classes! Go to www.apdt.co.uk and find one in your area.

There is no need to scruff them - it won't stop them, as you have already found.....so best to stop doing it! Wouldn't you get p**sed off if someone grabbed your neck!

Best to teach "off". TEACH it not just use a harsh voice to warn them away. Acutally teach them what the word means and then you can say "Off or leave it" in a nice voice when you want them to stop mouthing and gradually say it sooner and sooner so the dog never lays their teeth on you with out an invitation to do so.

Lots of ways to teach "off" - this is just one link that i found.
http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...01/leaveit.htm

But all round i think you should get to some training classes.

Dog are often harder work when they are adolescent