Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i wouldnt agree that one step of pulling reinforces the pulling, as thats another example of the operant conditioning theory that all training can only be straight line forward, step by step progress.

that can only give the handler an added layer of anxiety that should one error occur one day after several days of progress then its all gone wrong and all the progress has been invalidated.

which is counter intuitive for the handler keeping it fresh and relaxed and positive for the dog, and doesnt take into account the energy of the situation.
When I was training my first BSDs, I did follow the view that one step of pulling reinforced the pulling and it seemed to be true, but mind you I was using a horrible choke chain back then and it was a bit different.

I think it's confusing for a dog if the owner does let him/her pull sometimes and not others. Although pulling a bit on a harness doesn't count (a stop pulling harness) as it's very different to collar and lead and the dog knows the difference

But with more modern training, I agree it doesn't matter so much and shouldn't concern the handler unduly if the dog does happen to pull a step or two - but it's important I think to explain that the dog can't pull one moment and then understand the difference for not pulling, and that that is what is wanted, the next.

I do think we have to make it easy for the dog as well as the handler - Kruse do you not think then that a pulling dog will find it harder to learn than one that can't pull on the lead?

With my suggestion, the dog might well pull on the stop pulling harness a bit (that's oK) so the owner can still get from A to B, which to my mind is very important and is often something that is left out by trainers. You can't train literally every step (most people are too busy these days) except when the owner has the time to take 5 minutes and train properly for loose lead walking.

So I guess I'm saying that the dog can pull but best not to allow pulling on an ordinarly collar and lead whilst trying to train not to pull (if that is not double dutch, I know what I mean )

Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2