Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Garden dominance

Hi im new here. I would like some advice please.

Yesterday I brought home a 12 month old siberian husky from Manchester dogs home (Loki). He is quite emaciated, weighing 18.2kg at 12 months old.
We have a 4 month old Siberian husky (Marley) who we have had from a tiny pup. We took our 4 month old with us to see how they got along and they were great.
We brought Loki home and he and Marley are fine in the house, Loki is protective of his food but thats to be expected as he probably doesnt think he will be getting another meal he is so thin.

Anyway like I say they are fine in the house but Loki pinned Marley in the garden and has punctured his chin. When Loki was out there lying down, Marley tried coming out of the door and Loki again went to attack him.
He seems very dominant in the garden and seems to think thats his area. Its making Marley very wary and scared to go out.

Can anybody help with this as I dont want to give up on Loki, I want him to be part of our 'pack' but I dont want poor Marley being attacked or scared of being in his garden.
Thankyou
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
hi

re the weight...18kg isnt that underweight my males all weigh 21-22kg (peeps like sibes to weigh to much,they are a medium dog breed like a hairy greyhound lol)

its early days,u only picked this guy up yesterday,also dont fall into the trap of 'he's doing this because he had a rough start'
most dogs will protect their bowl from a dog they do not know well let alone a pesky pup.
first of all i wouldnt give him unlimited reign of the house and garden until boundaries are put in place.

i would prob put the newguy on a houseline for a few days so you can control doorways etc.

also...what looks awfull to you may not be to dogs sibes are very strong on pack behaviour and body language...are u? there may actually be a reason he told your wee one off
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:50 AM
If it's any reassurance, Casper was a bit OTT and rough with Kiki in the garden when we first got him, although they were great in the house. He would keep trying to chase her, which she didn't like, and would try rough play with her which she also wasn't keen on. This meant that initially I would put Casper on a long lead in the garden to restrict him a little - if he tried to chase Kiki then I wouldn't give him enough lead to, if he tried to play rough then he was called away (and used the lead to give him a gentle redirection if he wasn't listening).
Walking them together was impossible to start with too as he'd spend the whole time trying to jump on her. If I had him on-lead and let Kiki off-lead to wander ahead, he wouldn't let her run back to me without trying to jump right on her.
I don't think I would say Casper's behaviour was dominant, though some people might. I think he just lacked in manners and didn't realise that this other dog didn't want to playplayplay, and in his rough manner. After a few weeks he toned it down a bit, and Kiki also relaxed a little and started to join in with the play, and they've now got a happy medium of playing rough but Kiki ending things when she's had enough - Casper knows not to push his limits.
I'm sure once Loki learns to settle down, and Marley learns to take Loki's hints, they'll reach a better understanding of each other, but in the mean time I'd try to limit any conflicts by putting in a few boundaries of your own.
MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply, I understand what your saying about the weight but he is really thin. You can see every rib,hip bones and spine are all jutting out.

MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Thankyou Karly, Im hoping they will get along because they are so good inside the house but I really dont want Marley being scared to be in the garden
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by MarleynLokisMum View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply, I understand what your saying about the weight but he is really thin. You can see every rib,hip bones and spine are all jutting out.

he looks lovely..the weight wont take long(and he looks outa coat) take it slowley tho ...sibes and their bellies n all that

eta...and going by that pic i dont think u have too much to worry bout..hes let pup very close

are they tied on lines? are u keeping the new guy outside only?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi its early days,u only picked this guy up yesterday,also dont fall into the trap of 'he's doing this because he had a rough start'
most dogs will protect their bowl from a dog they do not know well let alone a pesky pup.

first of all i wouldnt give him unlimited reign of the house and garden until boundaries are put in place.

i would prob put the newguy on a houseline for a few days so you can control doorways etc.
Agree, to tell you the truth I am wondering why you have decided to get another dog when your own is only 4 months old?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by MarleynLokisMum View Post

Hmm, better not see my dogs then!

Also if that is food the other dog has I think having two dogs of any breed and any age this close together over a valuable resource is a recipe for disaster!

Please make sure that you have REALISTIC expectations of your dogs and remember that this is what they ARE, ie they do not really do sharing.................
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
They are both young and manners need to be learnt. Feeding should be in seperate bowls or area with a comfortable respectable distance and supervised Any attempt by an offender to steal the others food should be corrected straight away.I think you may have taken the harder route by introducing another dog so soon whilst your existing dog is only a young pup and still and not yet fully trained.Try to get to grips before they both reach maturity as this will become more of a problem with rivalry.Good luck whatever you decide.
MarleynLokisMum
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
he looks lovely..the weight wont take long(and he looks outa coat) take it slowley tho ...sibes and their bellies n all that

eta...and going by that pic i dont think u have too much to worry bout..hes let pup very close

are they tied on lines? are u keeping the new guy outside only?
he is tied on a line but only when he goes out for a wee and poo, we stand outside with him. I took that picture yesterday when he very first arrived just to show how skinny he is. He will live indoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >