Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 09:20 AM

If you were rehoming a dog....

and make it a dog you know, not an imaginary dog.
How would you advertise it? What would you stipulate?
(following on from a discussion on advertising rehomes - I wondered how others would phrase it?)

This is my ad for a little Foster belonging to a friend:

Maisie: Yorkshire Terrier, 6 months.
Needs knowledgeable home where she will be treated like a dog, not a Diva. No children under 10. Needs company of another dog. Needs off-lead walks every day.

Reasons for those stipulations: This is a rehome who has been brought up in a flat and treated as a princess. She used to bite and control the household. She was never walked and never met another dog till she was rescued.
She needs to (a) learn to be a dog and (b) needs her rehabilitation continued. Her foster mum has worked really hard to turn her round, but she could regress quickly if allowed. She can not be trusted round small children as she will still snap if backed into a corner.
Are these conditions too much? Not unless you want to own a little snarling nightmare!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
and make it a dog you know, not an imaginary dog.
How would you advertise it? What would you stipulate?
(following on from a discussion on advertising rehomes - I wondered how others would phrase it?)

This is my ad for a little Foster belonging to a friend:

Maisie: Yorkshire Terrier, 6 months.
Needs knowledgeable home where she will be treated like a dog, not a Diva. No children under 10. Needs company of another dog. Needs off-lead walks every day.

Reasons for those stipulations: This is a rehome who has been brought up in a flat and treated as a princess. She used to bite and control the household. She was never walked and never met another dog till she was rescued.
She needs to (a) learn to be a dog and (b) needs her rehabilitation continued. Her foster mum has worked really hard to turn her round, but she could regress quickly if allowed. She can not be trusted round small children as she will still snap if backed into a corner.
Are these conditions too much? Not unless you want to own a little snarling nightmare!
Seems perfectly reasonable to me Claire, but as we know people get dogs for all sorts of reasons, and only a few really have the dogs best interests at heart. I hope the ad. gets people calling and I hope those people are true dog lovers and know what is most important to them (the dog)

ETA:-
As for rehoming a dog I know, well I only really know our two, and I don't think Baruska could be rehomed to my satisfation. Rianna could go to almost any home but it would break my heart if she had to and having waited many years to get her I hope and pray it won't be necessary.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Yours sounds fair

No idea really - hence why I failed finding a home for Mia - the main one I had was to train her kindly - but it seems everyone wanted to 'cure' her of her problems with dogs by 'showing her who the boss is'
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I am afraid I wouldn't advertise so I can't really think on it.

I do tell the absolute truth though, warts and all.

If I was advertising Fizz I'd stress recall problems and I'd want other dogs in the house and a willingness to have him on a lap!

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 01:56 PM
As I have this situation right now, I have put basic details about her but I will also not be rehoming her to 'just a pet' home and will only let her go to someone that wil work her, I have lots of other stipulations too such as no young children etc.
It's better to be upfront right from the start so no one ends up disappointed or people 'out dogged' etc
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I think its very sensible to put the reasons for the stipulations (particularly after the thread regarding rescues' rules). So you will substantially narrow down the people interested, but what is the point of wading through a bunch of unsuitable homes? Hopefully anyone that answers that ad will be suitable.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think its very sensible to put the reasons for the stipulations (particularly after the thread regarding rescues' rules). So you will substantially narrow down the people interested, but what is the point of wading through a bunch of unsuitable homes? Hopefully anyone that answers that ad will be suitable.
She is gradually being introduced to a prospective home. They understand the need for caution.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Why the need for offlead walks every day?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm just wondering about the ten years of age 'cut off' for children?

What happens after their tenth birthday that makes them 'suitable' to have the dog?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Personally I'd do cut off for an age but if an immature 13 year old was involved they wouldn't get the dog, if it was a mature 8 they might.

Actually I have found that the thing with kids is often not the kids themselves but the friends of the kids---and you can't legislate for that so over 10 is a sort of helpful cut off.

Off lead walks are VERY important for some dogs and may not be for others. Of course if the dog is going to live on an acre of land and will chase toys then again maybe not as important.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >