Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:20 AM

5 month old puppy still biting

My sis in law has got a 5 month old pup, who is doing really well in some areas, and not so good in others. Worryingly, he is still biting/mouthing people/clothing. In the house and out in the garden. He is also biting while being groomed (he is a shaggy haired breed, so needs his feet trimming)

Sis in law is using time out when he mouths, but I am not sure if this enough, or what else she should/could be doing?

She is having issues with her recall (velcro dog has morphed) I have emailed her SB's recall thread. So hoping that will help.

Also can anyone recommend a good trainer in the Hemel Hempstead area (I am not convinced that her trainer is helping enough, she had 6 weeks, and then thats it...no follow up course) So I am thinking someone who does course after the 6 weeks to give them both the confidence?

Anyone?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:30 AM
My trick was to get the dog to learn that skin = licking. By rubbing frozen butter on your hands - especially whilst grooming but not to over do the amount of times you put butter on your skin otherwise it leads to excessive licking.

She could always yelp like it's littermates would - everytime he bites her clothing or skin - then turn and face away and ignore the puppy for a few minutes - then play with it but only if it is calm.

Another tip - from VS, during grooming, have bits of chicken in your hand but don't let the dog have it often - every 3 minutes or so, I think for puppies that would be enough - but I just made that up, I know mine wouldn't sit longer than 3 minutes for chicken when they were 5 months old.

How many toys does he have? Has she tried soaking a rope toy in chicken soup and freezing it over night...

Good luck from me.. I never had this problem - I think I'm a lucky one
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I find time out isn`t much good tbh.
I have an 18 month old who hasn`t learned bite inhibition so this is what has worked for us - after 3 weeks he has learned to stop putting pressure on and has almost stopped mouthing.
If it hurts - say so!. And remove yourself.
If it`s just starting, move your hands. Calm the dog. Stroke the dog. He learns that hands are sources of pleasure, not stuff to play with.
So- avoid the unwanted, reward the desired. Then it becomes habitual.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-08-2011, 08:24 AM
http://www.thefamilydog.co.uk/ - redbourne, brilliant

i live nearby as well
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:09 AM
My trick was to get the dog to learn that skin = licking. By rubbing frozen butter on your hands - especially whilst grooming but not to over do the amount of times you put butter on your skin otherwise it leads to excessive licking.
Brilliant idea!! I have a bit of a bitey whilst grooming - not biting as such, just mouths me. She is VERY foody so will try that next time!

If it hurts - say so!. And remove yourself.
I've found this works best as well.

Milly (pointer who we lost a few weeks ago), was 7 months before she stopping mouthing us. She was awful and by far the worst dog we have had for it. We just perservered with the removing ourself method and she finally got the picture and she never tried to grab us again.

Have to say that Dotty (setter) still has her moments when very excited

Helen