Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Hungarian Viszler

I'm not sure where else this should go really...

I saw the Hungarian Viszler on Crufts and fell in love instantly. I've been looking into the breed. Does anyone have any info or advice or know the breed and what they are like for temperament/training/health etc.

All your comments are welcome.

Thanks
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I would also like to know more about them could we have some piccies too as I've been admiring them so much lately,xxxxxxxxxxx
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:33 PM
especially the wirehaired
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:37 PM
my parents know people who work them and i'd say from theirs, that they are failrly high energy but trainable. the other i know isn't worked and is mental!
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I met my first one on Friday whilst walking my two. She was absolutely beautiful, 20 months old, a lovely red and extremely high energy! My 10 month old retriever couldn't keep up with her. They played chase for 10 to 15 mins until Ruby the Visla got bored and trotted off. Her owner was quite happy to let them play chase all day just to get rid of some of her energy. She was an extremely friendly little thing. I would love to know more about them too.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
my parents know people who work them and i'd say from theirs, that they are failrly high energy but trainable. the other i know isn't worked and is mental!
define mental!!!! lol

oh and does anyone know what they are like if left alone. Its not ideal for any dog buut sometimes unavoidable and some cope better than others. Any ideas on this? thanks
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 12:29 AM
hehe... he's not left alone for very long at all so i don't know!! as with many high-energy breeds i'd presume that they'd have the potential to be destructive, but i don't really know!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Hungarian Vizsla........

I have a friend who shows and breeds them , (smoothcoated) she has 4 bitches, her cousin has 2 dogs.

They are a lovely breed that will fit into any active family.

They are very much people dogs, they are not a bred to be left alone for long periods, they are a "high energy"
They are from the HPR group of gundogs, and along with most breed from this group, they do seem to need a little more stimulation (or so I am told)

But dont let that put you off, for instance my friend walks hers for 1hr a day in the woods, (most of us can give that) they only get that one walk a day, the rest of the day they will sleep it away.

The other friend (breeder) does the same, but lives on 3acres, so they also have land to wonder over....but again, sleep most of the day away.

I have never known any of them to be destructive, but if they where to be left for long periods of time alone, I think it would be another matter ( same as all breeds)

I also know people who are working them,, and they are proving to be very successful in the field (they are gundogs after all) .

Along with the high energy , they are an extremely sensitive breed.... they do not take harsh handling.... along with the sensitivity they can be a difficult breed to keep weight on.....(the bane of my friends life) when she is getting them in show condition.

Many of the people I know , have the same problem, getting them to eat enough to keep weight on.

I know someone else who breeds and shows, her, she has 4 all of them are as above, except one he is a nightmare , lovely, but I am glad he is not my dog....he has energy to burn, never stops would go on for days without sleeping.

I love the breed, they are elegant,/faithful/loving dogs.

But sadly they are becoming to popular, and like all breeds who become to popular to quickly are being ruined.... be careful who you buy from, go from recommendations.

And I am afraid, after the one at Crufts, they will become more so. and sadly along with that goes rescue, they seem to be having an influx at the moment... people like the look of a dog, but have no idea of its needs.

Not to mention greedy people breeding them for the popular market, like the one who tried to persuade someone I know to take two males litter mates , to keep each other company.

The wire haired is slightly different, some will tell you they are calmer /level headed than the smooth, some will say , they are are more stubborn , they are also heavier set than the smooth.

If you want to speak to an expert on the wire haired, PM me, I know of a breeder who is very well respected, in the breed, (she is as batty as a fruitcake) but will talk for hrs to anyone who is interested in her breed.

P.S , just to clarify the weight problem. (for Stolen-Wing) they are a high energy breed, so some will have a higher matabilism than others, some are a little more harder to keep a good condition on than others....but on the whole they will do well....I only know one overweight one, he is a lazy so and so.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I talked to a lady at a show who had wirehaired HV and she also said that they are calmer than the smooth coats
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Its so sad when people ruin a breed just to 'meet with demand' so to speak. So many breeds have succumbed to it. I'm fairly proud to say taht whenever I get an animal or breed in my head i will alwayas do as much research as possible before I even consider getting one. As a results I (fortuntately) dont have endless amounts of tortoises, mice, chinchillas, fish and so on!! Though I have owned a fair few animals! Anyway.... i'm digressing :S

Do any of you know if they are good with small animals? Cats for example? Most dogs are fine if they are brought up with them but just to check.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >