View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 07:49 PM
How long did Phil (at Culpeppers) keep you talking? He is famous for being able to talk the hind leg off a donkey LOL

Good luck with the training
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
lol, a good while mel,but he was very helpful, so are you lot, thanx for all the help.rose ive got a neckline coming with my gangline and also a bungee thingy, willprobably be asking loads more questions, so keep ya eyes peeled lol.
jason_desna
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi there,
so let me get this straight NI can pull sleds with out harming them selfs? as there seems to be masses of discussions of where he comes from and what he is bread from and not what his attributes are very confusing for some one who loves to see his dog have fun, he is totally focused when i am on my bike and he is pulling.
My boy is 10 months old and weighs 46kg, he has no hip problems and loves to pull did it naturally on bike ride one day?
But if i am going to have him pulling properly he will need a proper harness as a walking one seems to have the attachment point in wrong place.
Does any one know the answer?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 09:36 AM
As they are originally a mix of malamutes/sibes etc they "should" have no problems pulling, although two things I would mention at 10 months I would personally not have the dog pulling a person on its own, and two have you had the dog hip scored to know that the dog has good hips or is that your own observation? walking harnesses are designed exactly for that, and not for pulling a rig, you need the correct harness so as not to cause undue strain on the dog, as mentioned Phil at Culpeppers will supply the correct harness for this activity. many breeds enjoy working in harness so the breed is not an issue.

Mo
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree with Mo.. I would NEVER have such a young dog pulling!.. Also saying they have "good hips" means nothing unless you have a BVA score??
jason_desna
New Member!
Male 

07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
thanks for the advice, at 10 months i know that he is young am not looking for him to pull prob. till he is 18 months to 24 months, as his bones need to develop. But want to know that it was a possibility due to all sorts of things being written about northern inuits. I can therefore get him used to the idea. He really needs to work as he appears to have more husky temperament than GSD. So get destructive when bored. At present he runs aside me when riding wit my bike he goes for no more than 2 miles at a very moderate pace, which he loves. thanks for the info.

jason
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by jason_desna View Post
Hi there,
so let me get this straight NI can pull sleds with out harming them selfs? as there seems to be masses of discussions of where he comes from and what he is bread from and not what his attributes are very confusing for some one who loves to see his dog have fun, he is totally focused when i am on my bike and he is pulling. My boy is 10 months old and weighs 46kg, he has no hip problems and loves to pull did it naturally on bike ride one day?But if i am going to have him pulling properly he will need a proper harness as a walking one seems to have the attachment point in wrong place.
Does any one know the answer?
I think going by what you said in bold it sounds like you have him pulling already.. If he is pulling on a collar then its certainly not good for him and could do serious damage to his spine..
Have you had his hips scored?? How do you know they are good??
husky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I use the manmat walky harness for walking and for the walkydog at side of bike ,I use X-back harness for front of bike & scooter,Anne
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2