View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

13-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Some people do it as a 'sport/activity' Thords - and generally because they feel their dogs enjoy it and it keeps them fit.

From what I've read a proper harness should ALWAYS be used (or it could damage the dogs neck), and the dog should only pull if it wants to (and is not made to 'chase' something).
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Never seen a dog pull like that naturally they usually pull with the teeth unless they are sled dogs but there is nothing like the stress put on the limbs and back of a sled dog as there seems to be in this, may be the photos I have seen are exaggerated. Bet when they are trained to do this they are b****s to walk on the lead.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Hmmm I think some of it looks ok but from first apperance, where the weight is so heavy the dogs front legs are off the ground and they look really straining, that looks a bit much to me.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

13-04-2006, 07:12 PM
We live and learn It's not a common sport (although more popular in the US) but is gaining popularity with people who want to try an alternative activity that also helps get their dogs in shape.

As with anything there are wrong ways to do and and right ways to do it and from what I have read, if done correctly is not detrimental to the dogs health.

'Resistance' training is very good for humans so I can see why people are keen on this - but like I said, it would have to be done with a proper weight bearing harness and with adequate responsibility from the owner.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Its been over here for years but is becoming more popular now. More and more people are getting into the sport and it does no harm at all to the dogs if you have the right harness to start with. You cannot not force a dog to pull, if it doesn't want to.

With some bad press over Scotlands first pull, the newspapers have lied nce again just to sell newspapers and make it look bad. So called experts are now saying its a form of cruelty... which is total bo**ocks.

My boy got his WP1 title in march for pulling around 800lbs, he is a stubborn ****** and will only pull the once and once only. Others will just keep going as long as they are enjoying it.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
cant imagine most dogs putting so much stress on their bodies unless they were hungry and you stood in front of them with food in your hand.
Thordell, I don't know about IWPA (or other organisations where Bull breeds are allowed to compete in weight-pulls), but when weight-pulling with Sled dog breeds you are certainly not allowed to bait the dogs. I attended a weight pull a couple of months ago where other dogs were allowed at the end of the chute, which I didn't think was correct either. In my mind you should only be allowed to verbally encourage your dog and there should be no other outside influences. However, as I have said, baiting them with food certainly isn't allowed - they dogs are only working because they want too
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks for your reply, I did not mean to suggest that they were baited with food, just wondered how the dogs were trained to put so much strain on themselves, sled training is very different as I have never seen a dog allowed or encouraged to put that much stress on it's self. Still it would seem we are not allowed to ask questions about it on this forum so thanks for your reply but we can't discuss it further. Thanks again.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2006, 01:51 PM
You can debate/discuss them in the dicussions forum/section... Looks like Rich beat you to it

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/dog...ngs_33188.html

I'll delete our replies in this thread - as we've hijacked it a bit
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Otac
Hi Jenny, I've done a bit of WP with my dogs but will be competing with them in 2006. It is really getting popular and I know people all over the country getting involved with any breeds of dog.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ull_edited.jpg

Check out this link, this club is well organised pulling organisation run by some friends of mine who can point you in the right direction.
http://www.northernplayersabclub.com/

Lloyd.
im in love with your dog
nemasis
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Thordell, I don't know about IWPA (or other organisations where Bull breeds are allowed to compete in weight-pulls), but when weight-pulling with Sled dog breeds you are certainly not allowed to bait the dogs. I attended a weight pull a couple of months ago where other dogs were allowed at the end of the chute, which I didn't think was correct either. In my mind you should only be allowed to verbally encourage your dog and there should be no other outside influences. However, as I have said, baiting them with food certainly isn't allowed - they dogs are only working because they want too

At the professional weight pulls you can not bait a dog. Some amuture weight pulls alow it as it is for beginners or for people like many on here who are interested but have never done it before. You can't expect people to go out and buy a weight pull harness,which has to be orderd and made to fit the dog when they don't know if their dog(s) will even be interested in it. So these pulls allow people to
try their dogs at it and if they do it then it is up to the person to look into it more and start the correct training and buy the right gear.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >