Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
POPPYLINDA
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Poor Stinky Skipper Needs Help

Hi there, I need some advice please if anybody has any knowledge of my little dog's problem. My 11 year old male Papillon, Skipper suddenly started producing very very strong smelling urine, which stained the white fur on his hind legs, a dark brown. I took him to the vets and they tested his urine over a period of weeks and every test was normal, they could not find anything wrong with, bladder or kidneys and there was no infection. The only advice was to cut his fur really short underneath, which I did but his belly seems red and sore and he still stinks to high heaven. Is there anything I could use to counteract this problem? I wonder if I could put witchazel water on his belly to sooth his skin as this helps ease sunburn on humans. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Poor little Skipper! What do you feed him on Poppy?
POPPYLINDA
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2015, 09:10 PM
I have always fed both my Papillons, Butchers Loaf n Jelly
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by POPPYLINDA View Post
I have always fed both my Papillons, Butchers Loaf n Jelly
Do you feed carbohydrate as well, or just the protein?
POPPYLINDA
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Dear Gnasher, sorry it's taken so long to reply. When you asked if I give him carbohydrate as well as protein, what exactly do you class as carbohydrate? if you mean dry food, then no as he only has a couple of teeth left.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Carbohydrate - as in starch which is converted into blood sugar to provide energy. Meat contains little carbohydrate, kibble is very high in carbohydrate - so therefore your dog's diet us low in carbohydrate?
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Perhaps if you could replace, say a third of his daily meat ration, with well mashed potato and mix it in well so he would find it acceptable. Reconstituted instant mash would be OK. Then this would almost certainly reduce the strength of his urine. Slowly you could increase this until half his feed was mash. As regards the rawness underneath perhaps a small amount of something non-toxic like Nivea rubbed in twice a day would surely help. Failing this even vaseline would act as a barrier and allow the burnt area to heal itself. Good luck.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Have you thought of trying Skipper on any of the wet tray foods which are appearing on the supermarket shelves these days? Most of these contain rice and vegetables as well as the protein source, and there are Senior varieties too. Pets at Home carry a really good range, but even Tesco sell a range called Naturo which seems to have a better analysis than canned food. I have to say it always smells really good when I open a tray.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-01-2015, 05:51 PM
I've had a surf and butchers contains rice and veg in most varieties. Protein content 8% in all so not sure how high that is for senior pap?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Did the vet do a urine culture tested at a lab ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >