View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Raspy retching and vomiting... small amounts of white liquid?

I awoke at 3a.m. to find Dexter standing by my bed, retching - a really raspy, hoarse type of retching. He kept doing this for about ten minutes and produced several small amounts of white liquid - like a very thin foam.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms?

Afterwards, he curled up on my bed and fell asleep. This morning he seems OK and quite lively. Yesterday he seemed fine though I noticed he seemed a bit tired.

Can anyone kindly advise if these symptoms are something they recognise?

Many thanks indeed.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Kennel cough comes to mind but I'm not a vet so don't take my word for it! I know my dogs have had similar symptoms when they had it. Hope he's ok very soon and I know you'll get him to the vet if you're worried xxx
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:14 AM
My first thought was kennel cough as well, although my dogs brought up more of a slimey mucus than a foam, so it could just have been some kind of digestive irritation.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:24 AM
I agree - KC or some respiratory tract infection. If you take him to the vet please don`t sit waiting with the other dogs in the waiting area - that`s how my dogs have always caught it!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys - that was my first fear also. I will call the vet and make an appointment. CLAIRE&DAISY - I will be sure to warn the vet and will not let him near any other dogs.

He seems totally fine this morning - if it was KC would he still be retching etc....?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes - KC sounds like they`re trying to throw up.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Could just be empty tummy syndrome, though usually then it is yellow bile they bring up. Try feeding him a few small biscuits or handful of kibble right at bedtime to give his tummy something to work on through the night.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
My first thought was kennel cough. If he continues coughing/retching I would definitely get him checked out at the vets.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Awww poor Dexter I hope it's not kennel cough, my Moon caught that (he contracted it from having the vaccine!!! ) and was miserable as sin when he ill. He came through it fine though. Hopefully if Dexter's perky this morning, it might just be an empty tummy, but a vet check is always a good idea
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Definitely kennel cough. Coco was exactly the same...white stuff and all. She needed antibiotics. Otis, Poppy and Danny got it after that. Poppy needed antibiotics too but the others got over it by themsleves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >