Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Cheaper Way to Feed Two Dogs?

When we get our second dog, which will be the same size probably as Storm, who is a Collie cross Lab. We are just wondering if there is a slightly cheaper way of feeding them both, without compromising too much on the quality?

Storm is currently being fed about 200gms a day of Simpsons Premium Salmon & Potato kibble, which costs £36 for 12kg (inc p&p) and lasts about two months. Also, he has about 300gms (roughly) of Arden Grange Partners wet food a day too. The tins cost £1.05. So, for two dogs, this type of feeding would probably work out quite a lot of money!

We were thinking about maybe feeding them one meal of the kibble and AG wet food and then maybe one meal of something else a little bit cheaper per day, or even a couple of times a week, (something like some cheap white fish, tinned fish, minced beef etc)?

Storm does look very good on the food we feed him and seems to do really well on it. So, we would like to still give the majority of what we do now for both dogs, but maybe just alternate it with something a bit cheaper, but still healthy, just to cut down a little on the cost.

Any ideas please?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Feeding my two big ones can be expensive so I raid the bargain bits of supermarkets for cheap meat offers each week when I do our food shop!

The other day I got a big tub of chicken wings for 22p from Sainsburys, usually £2.00 (I bought 3 boxes and froze 2 lol) and that did them their breakfast meals for well over a week. Also liver and kidneys are found in that section for similar low prices! and minced turkey etc, sometimes even great big joints! Providing your doggies don't have sensitive tummies I find I can feed all sorts of alternate meats no problem and save a few quid but feeding them yummy meals. Zeke gets raw but Keisha gets it with kibble, and it makes the expensive kibble last double as long!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes was going to say something similar to Akitagirl -
How about keeping them on the Simpsons kibble which seems to be quite good value, but just changing the tinned food for something better value?

Wainwrights trays are cheaper, or you could mix a little mince in everyday, or pick up offers from the supermarket? This would bulk out the food, and make the kibble more palatable/less dry without costing so much.

My parents add some tinned food to JWB (similar stuff to Butchers tripe), and then just add a little water too.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Raw feeding worked out a cheap way to feed my two. I know the meat I buy isn't likely to be organic, freerange stuff but then again, neither are half the kibbles on the market - and at least I can see exactly what I'm feeding my two! I'm just not paying for the poorly digested filler ingredients they bulk out commercial foods with.
I bulkbuy so having a chest freezer was essential, but the freezer cost me £30 off Ebay and has lasted well. The biggest expense was buying the summerhouse off my mum - she left it here rather than sell it so I bought it off her (had no where else for the giant freezer), but what I've saved by ordering raw from my supplier has more than paid for the summerhouse (which is now doubling as a ferret cage so getting good use out of it!)
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 10:02 AM
If I were in your position personally I would change to wainwrights, salmon and potato. I think its about £32 for 15kg. and id change to either wainwrights trays or butchers tripe tins which are alot cheaper than what you mentioned
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Tesco Value chicken portions are really cheap. And so is their pigs liver.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I find raw feeding the cheapest (and healthiest) option.

To feed my two fully grown, energetic GSDs, it costs me about £22 for 2 months all in all. (When Jess was on kibble, it used to cost me about £50 per month! So a big difference)
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Stay with the kibble for now as if you swap all things too much in one go it may cause problems.

Change the wet food to either RAW look at bargins in the supermarket and if you can not keep a lot of meat you can usually buy anglian dog meats from the freezer section of most pets shop but certainly at pets at home.

Butchers tripe mix is also an alternative if you prefer tins, no additives or grains. 64p but lots of offers on if you by a pack.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I will do a mix of what he's on now, plus some meat from the supermarket. I just went to Morrisons and looked at the ingredients in Butchers tins and the meat content is so low compared to the AG tins and it also contains animal derivatives, which I don't like the sound of. I haven't looked at the Wainwrights yet though, so that could be an option, though I think it's only a little cheaper than the AG.

I'm not too sure about the Simpsons for two dogs (price wise), but it is such a good food (in my opinion). I will have to look at the Wainwrights kibble ingredients too and if that isn't too bad, then maybe we could alternate between both types of kibble.

Sigh...In an ideal world where money was object, both dogs would be eating ALL organic/free range meat and that's it!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Feeding my two big ones can be expensive so I raid the bargain bits of supermarkets for cheap meat offers each week when I do our food shop!

The other day I got a big tub of chicken wings for 22p from Sainsburys, usually £2.00 (I bought 3 boxes and froze 2 lol) and that did them their breakfast meals for well over a week. Also liver and kidneys are found in that section for similar low prices! and minced turkey etc, sometimes even great big joints! Providing your doggies don't have sensitive tummies I find I can feed all sorts of alternate meats no problem and save a few quid but feeding them yummy meals. Zeke gets raw but Keisha gets it with kibble, and it makes the expensive kibble last double as long!
Me too! I got haddock from Sainsbury's fish counter this week reduced to £3.50 a kilo from £14. I got 9 large bits for £3.84 which works out to about 43p per day plus cost of mixed frozen veggies, wholemeal pasta and eggs (which I also got half price as there was one missing out of the box of 12!).

My dogs really enjoy their home-cooked food and only problem is husband gets jealous of what they're getting like the other week when they had rainbow trout!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >