Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Topher Wayne
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2011, 05:31 AM

My puppy's eye is messed up!

Please help with advice! I am broke and cannot get him to the vet until Friday or else he would have already been there! I have no one to borrow from either. Anyway a couple of days ago his eye was super crusty and closed one morning. I really don't know what to do for him until Friday so I have just been trying to keep him comfortable. I have been wiping his eye softly with a warm wash cloth. I feel so bad for this little guy. Does anyone have any idea what is afflicting Thor??

He has gorgeous blue eyes and his sick eye now you cant even see the blue. Guys, can you give puppies human antibiotics? Please let me know, I have some amoxacillan and Cipro I could give him if it was safe.... Thank you for all your advice!

Thor's messed up eye

Thor normal....
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2011, 05:41 AM
you should not use any medication on your dog you know nothing about, especially human stuff.

he may have an infection, conjunctivities, anything.

have you checked if anything is in his eye? ie, grass seed?

aside from that, we arent vets, so cant really do a lot.

cant the vet bill you to pay later?
Topher Wayne
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Alright, thanks for that. No all the vets around here I called up all want cash up front. Which is really crappy because I get paid Friday. I've thoroughly looked in his eye. He hasn't got any foreign objects in there. I guess the only thing I can do is keep wiping his eye down and make sure he's comfy until Friday and to hope there are no ill effects for not getting to a vet sooner
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Poor pup.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but did you not take potential vet bills into consideration when you took this pup on?
Topher Wayne
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Of course I did. This past pay day was particularly harsh & i had to dip into what little savings I had. Also I get paid every other Friday and it happened right smack dab in the middle of my pay period, so unexpectedly. I'll be back out of the red come Friday, but we all go through some unforeseen circumstances every now and again.

Do you have any advice for this little guy?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Firstly, sorry if I sound harsh, but you need to put aside money for your puppy and you should of really thought about this before having him.

Eyes are very delicate and if an infection takes a good hold not only is he in discomfort but he could loose it if not treated.
Try for now bathing it in warm salt water, do not use the same cloth each time as you are only retransfering any infections, use cotton wool and disreguard it after use.
You can also use cold tea bags to wipe or diluted optrex, again always dis-reguard anything that has been used and do not re-use it.

If possible ask a neighbour or a friend to help with a loan till Friday, whatever the pup deinately needs to see a vet asap

ps do not use the anti biotic you asked about, hopefully the above will help and bathe around 4 times a day
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:32 AM
What a gorgeous little pup.

I would clean the eye with cool boiled water. Do it two or three times a day.

Ring the vet and explain your situation. You never know they might be understanding.
Have you phoned PDSA, they too might be able to help you.

Let us know how you get on.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Agree with Ys's advice especially throwing away what you use to wipe his eye with each time. If it something infectious it will need to be dealt with carefully as it could well spread to the other eye.

I know how difficult it can be when unexpected things happen financially it has happened to us before. If you can you need to put aside a little each pay day for him if needs be in a diferent fund so it is harder for you to break into it. Better still pet insurance the money will be spent every month and you can then rest assured if he needs treatment in the future you have the funds there. Well worth doing if you keep pets.

Wishing your little boy well and roll on Friday and that you can manage to keep this infection I would imagine thats what it is at bay till then.
Topher Wayne
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank you for your tips, guys. I appreciate it.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Same as everyone else, warm salt water 4/ 5 times a day and always throw away the gause or cotton wool after.
Do you have cheques in Canada? couldnt you give the vet a cheque and ask him to hold till friday.
good luck with the pup he looks really cute
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »