View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Frontline (and similar ones) coat the skin.
Stronghold (and similar ones) are absorbed into the bloodstream.
Because my dogs swim most days I use the latter.
Most of these treatments do Roundworm as well, and some do Ticks (Frontline only deals with ticks for a very limited time btw).
Stronghold does Mites as well, Advocate does heartworm as well. Neither does tapeworm or ticks.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Personally I don`t worry about ticks because I can spot them, or tapeworm because the dogs don`t scavenge.
Which one you use really depends on the lifestyle of your dog, I`m afraid.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Frontline (and similar ones) coat the skin.
Stronghold (and similar ones) are absorbed into the bloodstream.
Because my dogs swim most days I use the latter.
Most of these treatments do Roundworm as well, and some do Ticks (Frontline only deals with ticks for a very limited time btw).
Stronghold does Mites as well, Advocate does heartworm as well. Neither does tapeworm or ticks.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Personally I don`t worry about ticks because I can spot them, or tapeworm because the dogs don`t scavenge.
Which one you use really depends on the lifestyle of your dog, I`m afraid.
lungworm
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I'd never use Bob Martin again. I used it once on my lot and their skin was irritated by it. All 6 of them had bad irritation where I'd used it. I'm sticking to the proper now
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I switched my 10 year old Beagle to Revolution, by Pfizer, because it also prevents heart worms. I save money because I was buying both Frontline and Heartguard.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 07:17 AM
My vets now use Prac-Tic.
I refuse to routinely coat my dogs in insecticide and instead give garlic. I haven't had a flea in my house for 15 years. We walk in tick areas but I have only had to pull one off Cosmo. They are groomed and checked daily.

Tango had malignant tumour removed 18months ago and ever since I have done everything I can not to overload her immune system, with the backing of
my vet. That said, I stopped using spot ons ( having only used them intermittently) when my old BC hated them and I saw a pup have a dreadful reaction. I realised then that there is very little you can do once it is on their skin and it scared me.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My vets now use Prac-Tic.
I refuse to routinely coat my dogs in insecticide and instead give garlic. I haven't had a flea in my house for 15 years. We walk in tick areas but I have only had to pull one off Cosmo. They are groomed and checked daily.

Tango had malignant tumour removed 18months ago and ever since I have done everything I can not to overload her immune system, with the backing of
my vet. That said, I stopped using spot ons ( having only used them intermittently) when my old BC hated them and I saw a pup have a dreadful reaction. I realised then that there is very little you can do once it is on their skin and it scared me.
See mine get garlic every day. But we have had a couple I fleas appear on them. They've been treated now anyway
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
See mine get garlic every day. But we have had a couple I fleas appear on them. They've been treated now anyway
Check out Billy No Mates
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3