View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Help with getting a coat back in top condition?

im trying to get daphni in top condition again, after being in season and allergic to food, then with asbo having a good tug on her coat its not the best.

i want to get it back to looking great so need some help.

what shampoo and conditioner can i use? ive tried bright white and plush puppy but to be honest i didnt really like them on her coat. ive been looking at the groomers range as they have a wide variety. but should i be going for shampoos with certain ingredients in them?

how often should i be bathing her to get her coat back in good condition? she is usually done every two weeks, mainly because if i dont she stinks!!

she was on yumega plus, should i put her back on it, or maybe try another oil supplement for her food?

any help would be great guys
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Dogs clean themselves - no need to bath her so often, and that'll probably strip her coat and hinder its recovery! Happy to be corrected but hair/fur is "dead" beyond the route so the best way to promote healthy hair is to feed the live bits, not treat the dead bits, and achieve it with a good diet.
I bought some salmon oil for my two and their coats noticably got real sleek shine when I fed it daily. They don't get it quite as often now (as they get fish in their diet too and I don't want to overdo it) but their coats still have a nice shine from a good diet (though it's often hidden under a layer of mud or dust from the farm )
I'd try to figure out why she's smelling after 2 weeks, it doesn't sound right - mine get bathed when they need it, they need to be mega filthy to have earned a bath, fox poo I will spot clean but if they're covered in boggy water, poo, rotting animal etc. they may have earnt themselves a bath! But I don't have problems with them smelling, other than that generic slight eau de dog. The only time I had issues with dog smell was when I tried my old dogs on Burns, their coats went musty smelling, dry but greasy and lost its shine. Switching back to a food that suited them stopped it. Maybe it's something dietary if she's not finding something gross to roll in?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Dogs clean themselves - no need to bath her so often, and that'll probably strip her coat and hinder its recovery! Happy to be corrected but hair/fur is "dead" beyond the route so the best way to promote healthy hair is to feed the live bits, not treat the dead bits, and achieve it with a good diet.
I bought some salmon oil for my two and their coats noticably got real sleek shine when I fed it daily. They don't get it quite as often now (as they get fish in their diet too and I don't want to overdo it) but their coats still have a nice shine from a good diet (though it's often hidden under a layer of mud or dust from the farm )
most people i know bath their puffs once every two weeks, she was fine before she had the allergic reaction to her food, and she lost a lot when she was in season.
where can i get the salmon oil from? is it more or less the same as yumega?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Salmon oil is from salmon whereas yumega is from flax and starflower - I've heard of dogs with allergies being more likely to react to Yumega than fish oils, but obviously if the allergen was fish I'd be a bit careful.
I bought from Fish4Dogs but I've seen the Kronch brand recommended and think thats a bit cheaper, you can buy it on Ebay.
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Two things I was always taught:
'Breed for coat, feed for coat' and 'clean hair grows, dirty hair doesn't'.

So... it's important to start with feeding. Good quality food, mine get raw meat and goat's milk (which also helps the coats). Salmon oil can be bought off Ebay or from quite a few suppliers - try CSJ.

I bath my Cesky Terriers every week to keep their coats looking good. I use Plush Puppy Natural Conditioning Shampoo with Evening Primrose which suits the silky coat my beeed is supposed to have. Not sure if this would be correct for a Crestie? I do know someone with a PP who keeps the coat oiled between shows and her dog always looks fabulous - again you might find Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil a help (there's lots of information about using it on the Plush Puppy website.
The 'White' shampoos are usually quite drying, and should be used with caution!
HTH
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by cesky2000 View Post
Two things I was always taught:
'Breed for coat, feed for coat' and 'clean hair grows, dirty hair doesn't'.

So... it's important to start with feeding. Good quality food, mine get raw meat and goat's milk (which also helps the coats). Salmon oil can be bought off Ebay or from quite a few suppliers - try CSJ.

I bath my Cesky Terriers every week to keep their coats looking good. I use Plush Puppy Natural Conditioning Shampoo with Evening Primrose which suits the silky coat my beeed is supposed to have. Not sure if this would be correct for a Crestie? I do know someone with a PP who keeps the coat oiled between shows and her dog always looks fabulous - again you might find Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil a help (there's lots of information about using it on the Plush Puppy website.
The 'White' shampoos are usually quite drying, and should be used with caution!
HTH
thanks for that. will try the goats milk, mine get fed on a diet of raw food. i got one of the leaflets from a show, and bought the stuff it said i needed for the crestie, it was the blue one, and the silky conditioner, with the omg grooming spray. may take another look and see if i can find something else.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 01:01 PM
ANY fish body oil will be good for your dog's coat, and heart and brain, and eyes and is generally an anti inflammatory. You MUST give it with Vitamin E (prefereably natural rather than synthetic) as the former depletes the body of the latter.

Get a good quality one which states the levels of DHA and EPA in it, (a lot of OTC ones just say x amount of Omega 3 which is a bit vague).

I use Healthspan as I take them myself!

You can also give starflower (borage) oil which has fewer risks to health than EPO (EPO is contraindicated for dogs with epilepsy).

CLO should be avoided as it contains Vitamins A and D which your diet should already contain and as they are fat soluble vitamins it is easy to OD on either or both , and have the very problems you are trying to avoid!

Flaxseed oil is less easily metabolised by dogs because the Omega 3 has to be converted from ALA to DHA in the body and many dogs cannot do this and it is an inefficient way to provide Omega 3; many dogs can also get itchy from the very thing which is designed to help them!

As in anything, dogs do best digesting animal rather than plant food.

AS for shampoo, conditioning etc I LOVE Quistel products which have an excellent reputation both for their effectiveness but bringing poor coats back into condition.

Ensure your dog has a good quality source of protein as well and is ingesting sufficient to MAKE good coat (hair is made up of protein, keratin).

http://quistel.com/products/index.php?page=dog
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
ANY fish body oil will be good for your dog's coat, and heart and brain, and eyes and is generally an anti inflammatory. You MUST give it with Vitamin E (prefereably natural rather than synthetic) as the former depletes the body of the latter.

Get a good quality one which states the levels of DHA and EPA in it, (a lot of OTC ones just say x amount of Omega 3 which is a bit vague).

I use Healthspan as I take them myself!

You can also give starflower (borage) oil which has fewer risks to health than EPO (EPO is contraindicated for dogs with epilepsy).

CLO should be avoided as it contains Vitamins A and D which your diet should already contain and as they are fat soluble vitamins it is easy to OD on either or both , and have the very problems you are trying to avoid!

Flaxseed oil is less easily metabolised by dogs because the Omega 3 has to be converted from ALA to DHA in the body and many dogs cannot do this and it is an inefficient way to provide Omega 3; many dogs can also get itchy from the very thing which is designed to help them!

As in anything, dogs do best digesting animal rather than plant food.

AS for shampoo, conditioning etc I LOVE Quistel products which have an excellent reputation both for their effectiveness but bringing poor coats back into condition.

Ensure your dog has a good quality source of protein as well and is ingesting sufficient to MAKE good coat (hair is made up of protein, keratin).

http://quistel.com/products/index.php?page=dog
thanks for that
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Agree with all the above - my pair get washed when its REALLY needed (when little miss was head to toe in cow poo - or eww - fox poo) even then its about once a year

I gave up suplimenting oils and stuff but when I did I just got fish body oil capsules and vit E oil from health food shops

In regular day to day feeding I just add extra lamb breast and tripe if I want their coats looking better - or bung in salmon and sprats and sardenes (I have to blitz it up with mince and eggs because mine wont eat fish otherwise) - mibby a couple of times a week

Hope you get things sorted out
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Bea seems to have some sort of allergy (Not sure what is causing it yet though ) and has been nipping at her second thigh which has resulted in a little hair loss there (on her show side of course,would be wouldnt it )
I have changed her food from JWB onto wafcol salmon & potato (as well as having her usual naturediet puppy) and have just bought her some Episoothe shampoo,which is a a non soap based Oatmeal one for dogs with sensitive skin,Am going to use it today.will let you know how i get on with it. It cost around £12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >