View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I've bought skinned & gutted rabbits & rabbit pieces from the butcher I use, for my dogs, but they weren't that keen ~ probably just because it was something new! Having said that they both happily munch on dead bunny bits that they find out on walks! My friend's dog often catches rabbits when we're out walking & will eat everything, starting at the head & only leaving the rear end if it's a large rabbit & she's full up!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Keeping with wild game can you feed pigeon raw? We were around the BIL's the other day and the farmer he works with came round with a load of wood pigeons that he had shot. They were keeping a few for them but there was a good few left. I didnt take them though as i wasnt sure . . .
I feed raw pigeon, in fact got one in my freezer doing it's stint at the moment! They dont eat it with much gusto and Flynn wont eat it at all but it goes in the end. I do a bit of cold game retrieving with Flynn before any game gets put in the freezer.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Cain had his first rabbit yesterday! I came to me ready frozen and whole so I couldn't gut it before freezing. I semi defrosted it yesterday, sawed it in half (niiiiice!), scooped the guts out then threw the other half bak in the freezer. I hope this is ok as far as gutting goes?

I fed him the back half yesterday (whole rabbits weighs 1.6kg to too much food to feed all at once) and he has the delight of the head end next week!

He loved it and scoffed the whole lot, not a speck was left. He was bemused to start with but finally worked out it was food and it kept him busy for a good 20 mins. Will definately feed again
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I was actually wondering if they came ready gutted from the Dogfood Company so you've answered my question!

I tend to saw mine in 3 parts fully frozen so heaven help my Dad when he comes to use his saw! I'm sure the neighbours think i'm a freak too.

Another question...Are the rabbits you have wild ones? I saw some in the petshop aimed at the reptile owners and they were white fluffy bunnies. Dont think I could feed those my dogs as I had a white rabbit as a pet!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey there

A saw....good idea! I was trying to use a bread knife which was tough going!

No they aren't pet shop bunnies, they are your bog standard brown wild rabbit, and a fairly good size for £2 me thinks
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 03:25 PM
out of interest, why only feed gutted bunnies? I gave mine a bunny and Rio ate the stomach first.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 05:04 PM
A bread knife??!! I'm surprised you're not still sawing away!

Gutted rabbits are safer to feed as there will be no nasty intestinal parasites (although technically they should be dead if you freeze long enough) plus the gut contents tend to stink a bit, even frozen. I've fed mine rabbits with guts and all in the past and they will eat every bit but I do prefer them without.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
A bread knife??!! I'm surprised you're not still sawing away!

Gutted rabbits are safer to feed as there will be no nasty intestinal parasites (although technically they should be dead if you freeze long enough) plus the gut contents tend to stink a bit, even frozen. I've fed mine rabbits with guts and all in the past and they will eat every bit but I do prefer them without.
Yeah it was smelly! It was frozen for two weeks before feeding.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2