Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
You are most welcome, always good to clarify where one is coming from.

I don't believe in churches; I'm always happy to hear how others feed and why in order to learn more about raw feeding and always seeking to improve on what I give my own dogs. I'd hate to remain stagnant in my understanding of raw feeding over the years if my methods could be improved apon!

That's interesting. Do you know if the beef is enhanced in anyway? Is it grass raised or intensively farmed? Or could be perhaps a sensitivity to medications given to the cattle.... have you ever tried organic? (Though that would prove costly to feed.)
This is something I have wondered about. However it would be so expensive to feed him on soley organic beef for a week to find out and I believe some treatments the cows are given; can still be given and the meat classed as 'organic' If this is the case I would not really 'get anywhere' if it was one of these treatments or the beef itself..However, I have wondered if I should risk feeding organic beef as a one off to see how he does...its the fact that I do not want to make him ill that has stopped me so far.
Are you sure it's def diet related and no other cause? An elimination diet might help work this out. Basically chose one protien source (eg: chicken) and stick to that for a week or two. If no problem occurs, then tick that one off your list and introduce your next protien source, if at any stage problems occur remove the most recently introduced protien and monitor it.

Hope that's of some help to you.
Yes, it seems to be diet related and in the past, (we did the elimination diet) specifically beef. It was beef from raw meat suppliers (for dogs) that I tried feeding him on (and have also to be careful with commercial food)
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If your dog appears to be unable to tolerate lamb or beef, try him on venison.
Good point. I am wondering why it seems so difficult to get offal from venison. Last time he was on Lamb and got his cysts he also suffered colitis and Venison did seem to help but it seems limited due to being very seasonal. People must order WELL in advance (something I need to bear in mind in future)
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Yes, it seems to be diet related and in the past, (we did the elimination diet) specifically beef. It was beef from raw meat suppliers (for dogs) that I tried feeding him on (and have also to be careful with commercial food)

Good point. I am wondering why it seems so difficult to get offal from venison. Last time he was on Lamb and got his cysts he also suffered colitis and Venison did seem to help but it seems limited due to being very seasonal. People must order WELL in advance (something I need to bear in mind in future)
No biggie, plenty more meat out there besides beef. Fingers crossed lamb doesn't end up a no go as well.

I'd love to find a supplier of venison myself; anyone I know who hunts lives too far away from me!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4