Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Cleaning a feather duvet.

Stella has wee'd on my duck feather and down duvet. It says on the label I can machine was it, but it won't fit in the washing machine because it's kingsize.

Does anyone have any tips for washing it, without having to find a laundrette?

Thank-you!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 02:24 PM
You could try washing it in the bath? I used to do this with bulky stuff that didn't fit in the washing machine, e.g. Vetbed for my indoor bunnies. Half fill the bath with hot water, chuck in washing powder/a capsule, chuck in Vetbed, let soak then give it a real good mix (using a couple of kitchen utensils, e.g. spatulas, as water was very hot!). Do several rinses by emptying bath, refilling with plain water, smooshing the item up, etc. - we have a showerhead attachment on the bath that I'd use to rinse it too.
I think with something as big as a duvet, a launderette might be your best bet though - I imagine it will take absolutely ages to air-dry especially as it's not so warm at the moment.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 03:41 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't wash a feather duvet!!! I've done it myself and it just went into a big "lump"!! I tried to rescue it in the tumble dryer, and ended up taking it to the tip It was a very expensive duck and down one from M & S too just like yours

Take it to the cleaners, they're the only ones who can clean it without ruining it I'm afraid.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 05:40 PM
As above - don't wash a feather duvet. You can get them professionally cleaned for about £15.
My cat peed on mine when she was locked in the bedroom & we all know how much cat pee stinks. It was a very expensive duvet but came back like new
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 06:05 PM
I won't wash it then! Was only going to put in the machine because the label said it can be washed on a 40degree wash!

Will look for somewhere I can get it done professionally!

Thanks everyone!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Yup agree take it to be washed! I learnt my lesson lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I wash my feather duvets in the machine, they always turn out fine!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Are they duck and down or goose feather? I can't understand that coz I've actually ruined TWO feather duvets now and I have a good washing machine a hotpoint, I did it on 40, but alas, just two big bags of lumps which never did return to resembling a duvet
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Errr.....fluffy feathers?!
I have no idea, had them 4 years now!
They were bloody expensive ones from Debenhams, and it says you can wash them, so I did, and they turned out ok! (luckily they actually fit in my washer!)