View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Sally I understand your reasons but not your reasoning. Your insistence that it does not hurt can't be accepted and it is not logical. If it did not hurt it would not work and would have no purpose as it would be no different to a normal exercise collar.

If the getting of the dogs attention is what you were after I am still not sure why one would not use a master collar which is not, unlike the e-collar, intended to hurt but will most certainly get the dogs attention or if one chooses startle them in to thinking about what they are doing.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Any dog can be taught not to chase, some though are obsessed and uncontrollable around such creatures and most attempts at stopping the obsession is futile. If the collar works, then fine, cant see a problem with it. Its easy to slam folk when they have never had experience of the issue at hand, Id like to see how many fair if its them that was faced with this problem.
I have to agree Dawn. It is very, very easy for people to condemn another's actions without having walked in their shoes.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Nickyboy, yet again you have misquoted one of my post.

I am happy to debate with most people but not someone who swears at me, is rude and repeatedly misquotes my posts.
In future if you refer to any of my post do not expect a response it will be ignored.
before you go can you tell me how i misquoted you? - i can go and find it and paste it if you cant remember yourself?

apologies if I swore AT you, and apologies to anyone else offended by the phrase 'bloody thread'.

happy debating
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I am sorry you took offence to this remark but I stand by it. When choosing a breed of dog, you choose it to suit your own circumstances.
When we chose a RR we were aware that he could have a high prey drive and realised this could mean he gets no off lead running. We also looked for suitable places to exercise him and all in the name of research. There are other breeds I love but know they are not suitable for me. Sallyinlancs chose a breed that historically has Sibe in it and lots of sibe owners would never dream of letting there dogs off lead because of this trait so she shouldn't be surprised.

Not disagreeing totally as I wish more people would take breed traits into consideration when deciding whether a breed is right for them or not. However, people's circumstances can change and people move house all the time. Also, ANY dog can have strong prey drive, even within breeds that are not normally noted for such. The dog that attacked our sheep was a staffie - not a dog normally associated with stock worrying. I also knew of a springer spaniel that was a dreadful sheep worrier.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Sally I understand your reasons but not your reasoning. Your insistence that it does not hurt can't be accepted and it is not logical. If it did not hurt it would not work and would have no purpose as it would be no different to a normal exercise collar.

If the getting of the dogs attention is what you were after I am still not sure why one would not use a master collar which is not, unlike the e-collar, intended to hurt but will most certainly get the dogs attention or if one chooses startle them in to thinking about what they are doing.
So if an e-collar didn't hurt it wouldn't work, but a master collar used on the same principle would? Surely if a master collar works by grabbing the dog's attention, then an e-collar can be used to the same effect? You don't HAVE to use an e-collar in such a way that it hurts. You CAN use it in exactly the same way as a master-collar - i.e. to startle the dog and grab its attention.

I WOULD be willing to try a master-collar (if I am right in thinking it's the blast-of-air collar). I had never heard of them till they were mentioned on this thread. But after seeing for myself how to use the e-collar PROPERLY, I don't think the e-collar is any more cruel than the blast-of-air type TBH. They both give the dog a shock to grab his attention. Neither is pleasant for the dog but they don't necessarily have to hurt him to get the effect.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Anyone who has ever touched an electric fence around cows will know it isn't a pleasant experience.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
So if an e-collar didn't hurt it wouldn't work, but a master collar used on the same principle would? Surely if a master collar works by grabbing the dog's attention, then an e-collar can be used to the same effect? You don't HAVE to use an e-collar in such a way that it hurts. You CAN use it in exactly the same way as a master-collar - i.e. to startle the dog and grab its attention.
The difference being the e-collar gets attention by giving the dog an electric shock the master collar it is a very fine spray of air and water, if you consider to administer an electric shock to your dog is acceptable fair enough, your dog to do with as you wish, I just don't have to agree with you.

It is imperative the Master collar is used correctly as well, mistimed and you may as well not have bothered, but you will not have hurt your dog just made it wonder what they was all about and you can try again without causing the dog more pain.

I am sure when you decided to use an e-collar you did it with the very best of intentions and in your circumstances perhaps it was the best way, the thing I can’t accept is that you insist to shock a dog does not hurt.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Anyone who has ever touched an electric fence around cows will know it isn't a pleasant experience.
I understand that gentlemen stepping over them have to be particularly careful because one moment of distraction can lead to a very painful experience.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But we're not talking about electric fences here. We're talking about e-collars which are adjustable and can be used on a very low setting to emit either a shock that is discernable without breaking the pain threshold, or a vibration or beeping sound.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:10 PM
the thing I can’t accept is that you insist to shock a dog does not hurt.
Yet you admit you can shock a dog with a master collar without actually hurting the dog.
Page 52 of 64 « First < 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 > Last »