Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:41 PM

I was bitten by a dog

I feel devastated. Last Friday afternoon I was over my local field with Asti and there was a few children over there playing football and a chap playing ball with his Border Collie and JRT, I shouted over to the chap "are your dogs friendly with other dogs?" which he replied "yes" as I was going to let Asti off the lead and play with them running after the ball. I hadn't let Asti off the lead the chap threw the ball and it came right over to me, the Border Collie caught it and ran back to the bloke but the JRT kept coming towards Asti, went for her and then bit me on the back of the leg!! I managed to pick Asti up and she wasn't hurt. The owner told the dog off and took it back home he then followed me home and apologised to me, gave me his name and address and said if there were any costs to let him know. I went straight down to our doctors surgery and saw a nurse straight away. She cleaned the wound and put a dressing on it. I didn't report the dog as the owner was so nice about it and I thought it was upto him to keep a check on his dog. The owner also came back in the evening to see how I was. Continued
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:45 PM
The trouble is I have very bad legs anyway, I suffer from Celluilitis and Odema, for the first two nights and days my leg was pouring out water. I also had it looked at again Saturday and went back down to the nurse for three more days.

To cut a long story short, a week on, I feel I have lost all my confidence in taking Asti out where dogs are let off the lead. I feel very nervy around dogs I don't know. I've spent all week resting my leg and my husband has been taking Asti out. My leg seems a lot better now, just two scratches left. Will I get my confidence back again? Has anyone else been through something similar? I've never been bitten by someone elses dog before and I've owned dogs most of my life.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh no - how awful for you.

I would suggest you start by walking with someone to help build up your confidence. It will just take time I imagine. It was very traumatic for you.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Oh no - how awful for you.

I would suggest you start by walking with someone to help build up your confidence. It will just take time I imagine. It was very traumatic for you.
Thanks Tassle, that's a good idea actually, although I don't really know anyone to walk with as my husband works full time.

It's amazing how a situation like that can affect you. It just happened out of the blue. Maybe I shouldn't have picked Asti up when the dog was going for her but I couldn't have just stood watching her getting attacked. It really is a horrible thing to go through.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Are there no dogs you see regularly that you could double up with fir walks?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Of course what has happened will affect your confidence. I've had similar where my dogs were attacked but I was not. It has made Pebbles terrified of other dogs. After several times of it happening, I just decided that I had to have my dogs on-lead, so that I can pick them up if a dog attacks! If I'd got bitten too that would have been even more traumatic! I don't know what to suggest that hasn't already been suggested but just wanted you to know that your feelings are totally normal. I didn't go out for a while on my own with the dogs but I have a 15 year old that could "hold my hand" so to speak I was just so afraid that if a big dog were to attack my little ones, I wouldn't be able to protect them (the attacks mine have suffered have been JRT's and a Chow - don't think it was fully grown - not that big at the time - but massive compared to my little ones).

Hope you get your confidence back real soon. These Owners of unpredictable dogs (whether he was nice about it or not) have a lot to answer for. It's fine apologising but the trauma from such an attack takes a long time to fade. Best wishes
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear what has happened, but if I were you, I would get out as soon as possible on the theory that the longer you leave it, the harder it will be.

Tassle's suggestion of going walking with someone is a good one.

Maybe even start just walking when your hubby gets home from work and instead of walking your dog whilst he is out, do some mental work with them.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Thank you for all your replies and advice and suggestions, it's all been a great help. My leg is still quite bruised at the moment so still have to rest it but when I am able to go out again I will certainly take on board all the suggestions made.
Thanks again
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I'm always on the look out for dogs off lead as I've had scary experiences in the past and am not the trusting person I once was.
As some one else said the best thing is to get back out there asap. The more you do it the better it gets and you get back to feeling "normal" again.
Just try to relax (which I know is an easy thing to say but bl**dy difficult to put into practice).
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Poor you and Asti, I do know what you mean about losing your confidence, after a couple of nasty encounters last year with off lead dogs I felt the same about taking mine out, I hope you get over this soon, I am sure in time you will get your confidence back.

I hope this dogs owner keeps the dog on a lead from now on, he's lucky you haven't reported it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >