View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I can't be 100% sure but I think you have a Sibe don't you?...If I am right they are known for having quite sensitive tummies. As the others have said you can't chop and change foods...But you may just need to try out some that are for sensitive tums and if you do this remember to gradually introduce the new food over about 7 days. If she is only going when she would normally have too but is just loose when she does then it is most likely a problem with her diet and nothing more serious to worry about. I don't have sibes, but Keena (having S.Husky in her ancestry and German Shepherd who are also known for it) has had reoccuring bouts of loose stools pritty much continuosly throughout her younger puppy hood and has only just started to get better after she reached about 10 months (she is 1yr at the end of March). You may have to find a food that she still likes but is better for her digestion. You could also try a few spoonfulls of natural yoghurt everyday, try her on a little bit first to make sure she is ok with it and if she is that may help.
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone, will try that myschievous. Yes she is a Sibe. Nope never fed her any milk, as she was nearly 12 weeks when I got her. When I got her she was fed with Pedigree chum puppy pouches and bakers complete pup and I carried this on but she kept farting really badly and it stunk! gradually changed the pedigree chum to asda's butchers tinned altho the breeder did say she may not cope well with tinned food! as it carried on I changed her onto hero tinned but this has rice in it which may be the prob? I have given her one off fresh cooked mince and chicken off the bone! I have also gradually changed her mixed food from bakers to asda's own. Is this all to much??? She will enjoy anything as it all gets wolfed down pretty quick.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Footybird11
Thanks everyone, will try that myschievous. Yes she is a Sibe. Nope never fed her any milk, as she was nearly 12 weeks when I got her. When I got her she was fed with Pedigree chum puppy pouches and bakers complete pup and I carried this on but she kept farting really badly and it stunk! gradually changed the pedigree chum to asda's butchers tinned altho the breeder did say she may not cope well with tinned food! as it carried on I changed her onto hero tinned but this has rice in it which may be the prob? I have given her one off fresh cooked mince and chicken off the bone! I have also gradually changed her mixed food from bakers to asda's own. Is this all to much??? She will enjoy anything as it all gets wolfed down pretty quick.
Hello Footy How is your puppy looking,bright eyes, fresh breath, lots of energy? 'the runs' can be caused by many things, worms/bacterial/ food infection. I would never leave it for more than a couple of days without seeing a vet as you risk your puppy becoming malnurished cos he obviously is not geting the best from his food. It is so important your puppy gets all the required nutrient now to build a strong body. If I was in your situation and it had been going on for more than a couple of days I would by going to the vet along with a specimen of poo for analysis to eliminate the first two on the list then I would concentrate on the food . For the moment I would be feeding a light diet to see if I could clear it up, that would be cooked white fish (coley is cheap make sure it is bone free), rice, chicken..small meals three times a day for two or three days to see if it settle things down..no fats or dairy food either including yogurt which I would introduce in small amounts on the third day (natural live oganic) if things were looking better. Hope it inproves soon.
Edited to say. Three meals is ok at 16 week and don't forget lots of fresh water , if it does clear up reintroduce the normal food gradually ..have to say I don't like tinned dog food.. all gelatine and water
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks again I will try that too. The thing is she will sometimes have semi solid poo!? Whic makes me think maybe it could be something else that shes getting her paws on e.g. my adult dogs food also we were feeding her 4 times aday then when she was old enough it went down to 3 meals a day morning early evening and night. But we took away night feed and gave her extra on the other two meals as we thought that maybe it was because she was eating quite late at night!?
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Also she drinks plenty of water and she has put on nearly 4 KG in 3 weeks! she is now exactly 11KG
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Drinking a lot of water isn't such a bad thing, at least she's not getting dehydrated.

I think you should stick to one type of food for a while. You've had her 4 weeks and have changed her food quite a lot in that time - even though you've done it gradually, it can take a few days to settle after each change. If I were you, I'd pick one good quality food and stick to it for a while to see if it helps. You can add tasty things to it - scrambled egg, pasta, rice, fish etc - but try to keep it gentle on her tummy.

Has she been wormed?

Puppies can get diarrhoea for a number of reasons - sometimes it's as simple as her going through a fear period. I don't know anything about sibes, but 4 months was about the right time for my rottie's first fear period.

I'd also go back to feeding 3 smaller meals a day. Depending on your situation, I'd go for early morning, early afternoon and early evening, rather than evening and nighttime.

Also make sure she's not getting 'naughty' food from other sources, including visitors, children, neighbours etc without you knowing! Be careful on walks - they usually make a beeline for rubbish, squashed chips, vomit, anything on the pavement :smt078

Becs
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks. Yeah my mum and dad have admitted that she does sometimes get their food before they get in in their mouths lol. When we walk I keep a good eye on her and she stays on the lead which helps. My neighbour hasn't given her anything tho as she doesn't go in garden and I have a 6 ft solid fence. I also got told that after proper weaning they shouldn't have rice? I sthis true? Yeah she has just had her second worming tab as the breeder didn't worm her at all and after her second there were snot looking things in it which we thought mite be worms?
Also what do you mean by fear period?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I am willing to bet it is her food...I had Keena on Pedigree and she was so so, I also (foolishly) gave her some Asda Hero tinned with her kibble because she just wouldn't eat the dry alone...and omg! It made her stomach so upset...Tinned food of that kind really is so rubbish and you can get so much better for your dog, which I soon found out for not that much more of a cost (in the long run). I tried Bakers too before I realised that these foods were not doing her any good. Look at the ingrediants in the food and see for your self. A Sibe with a sensitive tummy is bound to have a problem with food like these.

I would do what minihaha suggests and when you come to reintroduce what will be her normal diet you may find she does so much better on a food that contains no artifical colouring, preserves, no added sugar, with real meat protein as the first or at least second ingrediant (not animal derivitives of 4% coming from god knows where).

Don't just switch foods around without to much thought, really look into all the brands out their and decide what may suit your pup. You'll soon start to see the difference in ingrediants between good and bad foods and you will wish you had never looked at brands like the ones that you and I have tried before. Even if changing to a better diet doesn't instantly make her loose stools go away completly, you will know that you arn't filling your pup with junk.

What ever you do look into the different foods first and gradualy introduce it. Make sure she is wormed and also like minihaha said, if you have concerns about her health in general (although she seems to be gaining weight ok) then seek advice at the vets, definitly for tests etc, but be carefull if all they want to do is sell you some food that they 'recommend' because they did this with Keena and we ended up paying £50 for a weeks supply of some food that we could have found a better type of at the pet store for much less.

Good luck.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 04:48 PM
I have to say your breeder doesn't sound like they are much help and being a breeder of Siberian Huskies I would have thought they would have been much more attentive then they seem to be. A good breeder of Siberian Huskies tends to treat all puppies as if they were their own babies and really worry about passing on good information to new owners and yours sort of seems like they haven't filled you in on much really. They should be able to tell you everything you ever need to know and ususlly practically force as much information on you as they can to make sure you get it right! including diet advice etc.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Footybird11
Yeah she has just had her second worming tab as the breeder didn't worm her at all and after her second there were snot looking things in it which we thought mite be worms?
Also what do you mean by fear period?
The worms that tend to appear after being wormed look like small grains of rice. If they're being passed in the stools it means the wormers are doing their job, but after a few days they disappear from the stools.

Hmmm, how can I explain fear periods?? They're bizarre periods in a puppy's life when things they are already accustomed to become scary. For example, your puppy may be fine with traffic, then one day (usually between 8-16 weeks) they can seem terrified of it. These periods tend to pass quite quickly, but it's really important not to reinforce this fearful behaviour. One of the commonest mistakes people make is that they try to comfort a scared puppy - puppy is scared of traffic, owner bends down and makes cooing, encouraging noises ("good boy" etc), puppy then believes it was justified in being scared. If you notice your puppy displaying fear period behaviour, the best thing to do is to just carry on as normal, ignore the behaviour as your puppy looks to you for guidance as to what's scary and what's not. As an example, if you don't react to the traffic or to your puppy's fear behaviour, the puppy should realise you're not bothered therefore there's no reason for him to be bothered either.

Hope any of this is making sense!! I've only owned a few different breeds, and have no experience of sibes, so please, someone, put me right if you disagree With rotties, fear periods tend to occur between 8-16 weeks, 7-8 months, and then they can have another one around 18 months. Not every dog goes through this and duration and ages can differ.

Hope this helps. As others have said, it's more likely to be food related than a fear period thing, but I thought I'd explain what I meant

Becs
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >