Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2006, 09:08 AM

to become a judge

can anyone enlighten me as to the requirements to become a judge, as i understood it you had to do so much stewarding and preferably had the breed for a good few years cant find anything on the KC web site but maybe im looking in the wrong bit, have just heard of a peson whi has owned a dog for about 3/4 years done no stewarding only showing but is now going to judge, think i would like someone with a bit more that that,
any help would be appreciated
huggles
b-eye
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi there,
I'm not sure if different breeds require different experience but if you take a look at the English Setter Association website under judging you will find an explanation as to the requirements for our breed.
Ordinarily, you would need experience within the breed, stewarding experience and to have attended at least one seminar. However, you can judge a breed that you have never owned if you know the right people , or have attended a seminar on that particular breed, so long as you meet some of the requirements of your own breed clubs.
Hope this helps.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 09:16 AM
It depends on the breed clubs criteria - some will only require that the applicant has 'an interest in the breed' to get on the 'c list'.

In order to progress up the 'lists', you would have to fulfill certain criteria such as attending breed specific seminar, proof of stewarding, x number of dogs gone over (dogs gone over at a hands on breed seminar count toward the number).

hth a bit
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Yes I agree with thandi, it's relatively easy to get onto a 'C list' and of course a 'C lister' can only do 3 classes or less of any breed, but to progress, a judge must fulfil certain criteria.

Remember too, to do 3 classes or less of any breed one doesn't even need to be on a list at all. I have judged several times before, and I'm not on a list. I've never wanted to be on one, and I hate judging with a passion.

Dawn R.
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi Jeanette, I found this post whilst I was reading some of the back posts on judging.
If you check out our breed club website and look at the judges lists, you will see that to get on to the C list is states that ...
THE C LIST OF JUDGES

PERSONS THE CLUB WOULD SUPPORT TO JUDGE UP TO AND INCLUDING THREE CLASSES OF O.E.S. AT OPEN SHOWS

Like you I am relatively new to the OES breed, Fernie is just coming on 5 yrs old. I think we started showing roughly about the same time. I know you had a pet OES a good few years before that, how you could go nearly 20 years without one is beyond me. LOL I am a total convert to the breed and wish I had owned one years ago. LO Still I have seen the light.
Anyway, to get back to what you were asking. Our club asks that you have taken the usual judging tests and that you have some knowledge of the breed and that you have their support. As it is only 3 classes that you are allowed to judge at Open shows, I feel that this is enough of a requirement, otherwise how would folk get to judge in the first place.
I am maybe luckier than most, in that I also have a wider canine base of experience. I am a qualified animal nurse. I can even put the letters RANA after my name if I want to sound posh. LOL I have been a professional groomer for over 25 years and I used to show and breed yorkies,so all in all that's over 30 years solid in the canine world. I've also, for my sins, stewarded at two Companion Shows. believe me, I think I would rather do that at Open shows, lol, it was chaotic, classes over lapping, folk getting into the wrong classes and everyone asking what they were expected to do for the judge. No give me an Open show to do any day. LOL
I was really pleased to be asked to do my first judging appointment earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Nerve racking but enjoyable. Remember that judges all have to start somewhere and if our own breed clubs won't support those that have an interest in the breed, then who will.
I hope you won't have to wait too long before that scarey letter lands on your door mat. You'll really have a great day out.
Good luck,
Clipper