Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
would not thnk it fair for a bitch to have more than a couple of litters. i know a few of you will disagree with me
nope totally agree with you Katy

Me too
CBT
Dogsey Senior

02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I think the breeding laws we have in place are sufficient.

If it was only fair for a bitch to have a couple of litters, the breeding laws would reflect this.

As they currently stand, a bitch must be 1 year old before being bred, must not be bred more than once in a yearly period, and must have no more than 6 litters in a lifetime, that sounds pretty fair to me.

If a bitch is healthy and well looked after during her pregnancy and the peak of her milk production, and the pups are weaned from 2 weeks and are eating independantly from about 5-6 weeks then I see no reason why a bitch cant have a few litters in her lifetime, within those legal guidelines, it all depends how well you look after your dogs, if they are well looked after, having even a large litter will not be a major strain on them. supplimenting their feeding correctly, regular worming and early weaning are the keys to having a successfull litter without draining the bitches resources too much. If a bitch "clicks" well with a particular dog and produces something special of course you are going to want to use her. I have never had any problems with any of my bitches sticking within those simple guidelines, they are all fit and healthy and whelp very easily, and retain a good condition before, during and after the birth/rearing and weaning.

Why change the law further? It is fine as it is IMO
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by pete
i can understand mating a record cc winning stud dog say to nearly 40 dogs a year cause you could say it was for the good of the breed .
not always Pete....a cc winner is only as good as the judge THINKS !!!!!! it has to be background history for me to use a stud dog..not his trophies...
In cavaliers we have a really bad inherited illness called syringogmyelia and all cavalier owners have to tread very carefully about breeding these days ..we need to widen the gene pool to avoid any more puppies being born with this terrible illness

Do I agree on breeding more than one litter from the same bitch.....if she is of good sound background and her stud mate is equally as good then YES i do IF IT IS FOR THE GOOD OF THE BREED...

I also think that some people who grumble about breeders need to look at their healthy pets and think of how much work and research has gone in to producing their soul mate...
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2005, 05:05 PM
[quote="Inca"]
Originally Posted by pete
I also think that some people who grumble about breeders need to look at their healthy pets and think of how much work and research has gone in to producing their soul mate...

One of my dogs was bred for showing etc by a "Breeder" she was cast aside because she broke her leg as a pup which resulted in a scar the length of her leg, and as much as I would like to believe that all breeders do have the best interest of the dog at heart it is`nt always so.

I do think good breeders would`nt over breed the bitches but there are others "puppy farm" that do and the law should be tightened to stop these people breeding.

"There is good & bad in everything"

yvonne
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I personally wouldnt breed a bitch more than 3 times, i would only breed twice from one bitch, 3 times if she was an outstanding specimen.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 05:27 PM
your right Yvonne.if the pup had been kept to breed from then the breeder would be being cruel and your pup was best in a pet home with you ....MOST of our lovely pets were bred in good homes ..not all i agree but as you say there is good and bad in every thing......just think DOGWEB wouldn't excist if we didn't have dogs and the birds and bee's were stopped !!!!

I agree Gems but only if the bitch could offer something good to her breed....
I have a super girl here who will not be bred from WHY ??????????? cos I don't think she has the right qualities to offer a litter but i still love her as much as the others...and she will stay here with me till the bridge takes her X
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-02-2005, 05:35 PM
The kennel club rules allow for a bitch to have consectutive litters here is what it states
NON ACCEPTANCE OF REGISTRATION
a)The dam has already whelped six litters or
b)The dam has already reached the age of eight years at the date of whelping
c)The dam was under 12 months at the date of mating
Relief from the above restrictions set out in b)above may be considered by the General Committee,as per kennel club regulations

so as you can see bitchs can have back to back litters it was changed from 12 monthly intervels because breeders asked it to be changed so they could show a bitch during its prime years without getting her out of condition and losing the time the bitch spent out of the show ring having and tending the pups
It meant that breeders if they wanted could cram the six litters into the later years of the bitches life
Anyway in my opinion six litters is far to many to take out of a bitch
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 05:47 PM
I don't think a law to govern dog breeding would work for several reasons.
1/ The country cannot enforce the laws it has now concerning human beings...what chance is there of enforcing a new law for breeding dogs.
2/ the people who need to be stopped from over producing are the same people who will ignore the laws
3/every case should be judged as an individual....there are dogs that shouldn't have any litters and people that shouldn't own dogs...let alone breed.There are others who produce several litters a year(breeders that is) of good quality health tested puppies.
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-02-2005, 06:27 PM
good reply Archer quite agree with you
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 09:00 PM
I think that just about sums it up Archer .......... totally agree
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >