View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doreend1958
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Diarrhoea in pregnant bitch (what to feed?)

Kara is a two year old Northern Inuit. She is three weeks pregnant and has had diarrhea for three days. (I have an appointment with vet on 1st May) however below is advice I have so far been given from friends and neighbours so i thought I would ask for your advice -
A) stave her for a day?
B) feed her white rice and fish
C) feed her scrabble eggs.
D) send to USA for Plantaeris for Dog Diarrhea
E) feed her cooked mince and white rice
F) feed her chicken broth
which is best?????
D
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 04:27 PM
I would say starve her for a day, it won't harm her or the unborn litter.....then very slowly introduce boiled rice and chicken, keep the food bland until her tummy settles.

My Jasmine only ate enough to cover a dinner plate for the whole 9 weeks of her pregnancy, she had a litter of 7 x 10-12.1/2oz pups.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi doreend1958 wecome to Dogweb .

Sorry to be explicit but you don't say what colour it is?

If she is not vomiting (starve for 12-24 hours for vomiting) I would not starve her but instead would give her starch and no fats, so that is white rice and white fish..and see the vet ASAP if it has gone on for three days..
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi there...

Also what is her normal diet and has she suffered from diarreoah much before??
doreend1958
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi The colour of the diarrhea is yellow, she is not ill in any other way, no vomiting and as lively and as happy as ever she was, her normal food was/is autarky - however I gave her raw chicken thighs/wings which she loved but I guess I should of introduced them a little slower then I did.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 06:31 PM
How long has she had Autarky is she usually fine on it?...

When you fed the chicken wings did you feed them at the same time as her kibble...The digestion rates of kibble to the digestion rates of raw meat and bone are very different and can cause upset...Kibble tends to take forever to be digested where as raw meat and bone is a much faster process and fed together they can cause an upset. So do try to fed them as far apart as poss.

You don't have to introduce raw meat and bones slowly really at all, it's not like when you switch from one kibble to another and you only really get a problem when you are feeding them with kibble. When I switched mine over to raw food I finished my bag of kibble and switched them straight over to raw and there was no problem and this was from two dogs who I always thought had sensitive stomachs!, well apparently only on kibble they do.

If you are just giving her the chicken wings as a treat then, do just remember to not feed them the same time as her kibble.

Of course this is just one idea which may not have caused her upset but may help

Could the diarreoah be her hormones kicking in do you think, that might affect her?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by doreend1958
Hi The colour of the diarrhea is yellow, she is not ill in any other way, no vomiting and as lively and as happy as ever she was, her normal food was/is autarky - however I gave her raw chicken thighs/wings which she loved but I guess I should of introduced them a little slower then I did.
Hi doreen until you have seen the vet I would give only starch and protein in the form of white rice and white fish..or porridge made with water not milk . Not sure how many meals you feed but three small ones would be best for the moment to line the tummy/absorb and push through anything that needs to be got rid of.

If you can take a sample to the vet in a small container/ yogurt pot that would be a good idea too.