Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Hmm, I can't really answer this properly cos I don't breed but out of personal preference I steer well clear of the free papers. To me the sort of people that look for dogs in there might not be totally commited, so I'd worry about the pup changing hands a lot. Plus the free ads make me sad, people wanting to swap a dog for a playstation is a sad state of affairs I think.

But like I said I don't breed so my opinion might change one day, but I think I'd rather advertise in the local papers just incase. Nothing wrong in advertising in papers, just not keen on the free ones.
thier will always be some ppl who dont care were there pups go and nowa days most papers charge to advertise
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
I won't feed this debate too much.... all I will say is that when i decided I wanted a WFT I worked bl**dy hard and rang about a million people.... eventually I came across Archie's breeder who was shocked that a complete stranger knew about her newborn litter, as she had only told one person.

The hard work paid off... and I got my lovely, healthy, pretty pup with the best temperament I could hope for Something about this leads me to think that if I had bought the first WFT pup I came across in the free ads I would not be so happy about it today
Exactly what I think. If you're thinking of getting a pup it should be well thought out and throughly researched. That way you'll end up with a lovely healthy dog for years to come.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by staffer
i advertise all my pup on ad mart and some news papers and why shouldnt i have the right to advertise were ever i wish is up to the breeder were he advertise s his puppies, know reading all the answers alot of DW members have bought loveing pups from ad mart or pups advertised in news papers it dosnt make you a bad breeder just because you advertise on certain web sites or papers no matter how mutch you vet the new buyers home and ask as many questions you still dont know if that puppy will have a good home even if you have a waiting list or not
staffer you have no idea how many questions Archie's breeder asked us... there was me (21 year old student) and a recently married, settled couple, and only one pup... she had to make the decision of which home to let Archie go to.... and she did this by judging character, speaking on the phone, seeing us interact with the pups.... reckon once she saw me with Archie she knew he had a happy life guaranteed

So I have to disagree with you... I think it is possible, and even if it's not 100%, I think its a breeder's duty to do everything they possibly can to ensure the pup goes to the right home....
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:05 PM
the ones i'm against is the ads reading can be kc reg if required

This tells me an awful lot about the breeders

Not many people i know advertise their pups,it is nearly all word of mouth

Sal
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:06 PM
thier will always be some ppl who dont care were there pups go and nowa days most papers charge to advertise
True, but even so, admart etc seems such an easy way to get a dog. Many adverts state "Wanted and then "must be free" at the end?? I mean who in their right mind, if you don't want to pay good money for a dog then I question your motives I'm afraid. I'd rather go local myself.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:12 PM
staffer you have no idea how many questions Archie's breeder asked us... there was me (21 year old student) and a recently married, settled couple, and only one pup... she had to make the decision of which home to let Archie go to.... and she did this by judging character, speaking on the phone, seeing us interact with the pups.... reckon once she saw me with Archie she knew he had a happy life guaranteed

So I have to disagree with you... I think it is possible, and even if it's not 100%, I think its a breeder's duty to do everything they possibly can to ensure the pup goes to the right home....
i didnt mean every pup i said some or most i ask loads of questions but the truth is once the puppy has left your house even with a contract you have no say in that pups up bringing or how its looked after
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:14 PM
True, but even so, admart etc seems such an easy way to get a dog. Many adverts state "Wanted and then "must be free" at the end?? I mean who in their right mind, if you don't want to pay good money for a dog then I question your motives I'm afraid. I'd rather go local myself.

well its easy to buy a puppy from any body if you tell them what they want to hear
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:17 PM
well its easy to buy a puppy from any body if you tell them what they want to hear
I don't think it's about telling them what they want to hear... I know Archie's breeder was more interested in watching us hang out with the pups and play with them than us telling her what good owners we would be! even if she did ask loads of questions.

It's not easy to fake being a dog lover when you have 4 sets of very sharp teeth digging into your foot
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:20 PM
I don't think it's about telling them what they want to hear... I know Archie's breeder was more interested in watching us hang out with the pups and play with them than us telling her what good owners we would be! even if she did ask loads of questions.

It's not easy to fake being a dog lover when you have 4 sets of very sharp teeth digging into your foot
i am not quoteing you , i am just saying that once the puppy leaves you dont have any hold on the puppy as to the way it is kept
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:23 PM
but some ppl genuinly cant afford to pay high prices for a pedigree dog but some just want them to sell on or breed
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »