View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Ive spoken to quite a few cocker owners who have the same issues as Millie does. All varying ages and all been taken to the vet to make sure thier was nothing they could not see what was wrong all turned out fit and healthy as well its different for every cocker Millie walks fine when other dogs or my mum is with us cockers just like the feel of the pack to make them feel safe. She also walks perfectly well when its time to go home!

Id have thought though that growing joints should be exercised. I do find that mental stimulation like training and retrieveing games do nothing for Millie. A good walk does though
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Tbh - if mental exercise is doing nothing for your dog - you're not challenging her enough. Teaching Louie to close the cupboard doors tired him out and he was only learning for 20 minutes and he's a spaniel/lab so a lot of energy. IMO if you have to walk her that far, that often then you have built her stamina up too high, meaning that in future you'll have to walk her longer to tire her out.

I used to walk a cocker and never had the laying down thing - you are walking her too much and as she is young you can do serious damage.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Taken from a vet site..

It is EXTREMELY important not to exercise your pup too often during the crucial developing period between 3 to eight months, too much exercise will stop the pups bones from forming properly and thus cause the dog problems such as arthritis in later life,. This is not to say you should not exercise the pup at all, but you will tend to find pups will give themselves plenty of exercise themselves by playing.

I do not recommend allowing the pup upstairs, as this can cause stress on the bone between the wrist and elbow/knee causing the bone to push over the joint. This is generally called overun and is cause when the dog comes down stairs and puts pressure on those front paws pushing the soft bone up and over.

Your pup will be learning from the very second it sets foot in your home, so it is a good idea to lay the ground rules down as soon as your pup arrives. Puppy training should not be a succession of corrections and telling off. It should all be done in the spirit of puppy play, firm but fair.

The way your puppy develops into and adult depends a great deal on how it is guided through its formative early months as a juvenile, by you, it's owner. The two most important words to remember throughout the life of any dog, be it puppy or adult, are consistency and fairness.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
vet may not be able to "see" with the naked eye, only an x ray can do that

If the dog isnt stimulated my mental games/training, then you are not doing enough/working the dog mentally enough. Clicker training, tracking games, hide and seek etc are far more tiring than a walk. As has been said, the more you exercise the more you will have to exercise (dogs get off on the buzz they get from exercise)

I have to wonder Pippa, why when experienced people are telling you of the risks that you are taking with regard to exerciseing this pup, you (appear) to be ignoring this advice and determined to carry on regardless. Despite the warning of the trouble you may be storing up for the future
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Agree with those who've said that if your dog isn't stimulated by mental games then you're just not doing enough to work the dog mentally. Fetch isn't mental stimulation for my dog. Forcing him to use his brain and figure things out on the other hand is mental stimulation. And fwiw, not one of the cockers I know regularly lies down on walks.

Of course it's up to you what you do with your dog but general rule of thumb is 5 minutes exercise for every month of their life when they're a pup. From what I can gather that's forced exercise such as walking, playing fetch etc and doesn't include the running around a pup naturally does.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
vet may not be able to "see" with the naked eye, only an x ray can do that

If the dog isnt stimulated my mental games/training, then you are not doing enough/working the dog mentally enough. Clicker training, tracking games, hide and seek etc are far more tiring than a walk. As has been said, the more you exercise the more you will have to exercise (dogs get off on the buzz they get from exercise)

I have to wonder Pippa, why when experienced people are telling you of the risks that you are taking with regard to exerciseing this pup, you (appear) to be ignoring this advice and determined to carry on regardless. Despite the warning of the trouble you may be storing up for the future
Totally agree with this post! I've had one dog PTS at the age of 6 that HD & arthritis, & another dog now with the same,youve read the heartbreak I've gone through lately.Try preventing the same! I had neither of them from pups. I have however had Ruby & Sasi from being 6-8 weeks old & neither of them have been walked for more than 20-25 mins under the age of 12 mths.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Ive spoken to quite a few cocker owners who have the same issues as Millie does. All varying ages and all been taken to the vet to make sure their was nothing they could not see what was wrong all turned out fit and healthy as well its different for every cocker Millie walks fine when other dogs or my mum is with us cockers just like the feel of the pack to make them feel safe. She also walks perfectly well when its time to go home!

Id have thought though that growing joints should be exercised. I do find that mental stimulation like training and retrieving games do nothing for Millie. A good walk does though
Oh dear Oh Dear Are these Cocker owners knowledgeable ? Are they people who have owned the breed for work, show or pets ??

I know lots of Border Collie, GSD & Cavalier owners, most know nothing at all about the health conditions for the breed as the are "pet owners"who never breed, show, work their dogs.

If you attach a lead to a dog(of any age)you can compel the dog to walk with you, the dog has no option & even if in pain they have to be with you.

I allow my puppies free running at home(I have a very large "dog garden")How ever I always impose puppy rest times & never ever walk them outside the 5 mins per month guide line.

The growth plates at the end of the long bones(Tibia, fibula etc)do not close until most dogs at around 18 months old(very small breed can close earlier & giant breeds later)whilst the long bones are growing over exercise can damage the growth plates & cause malformation of the long bones & irregular growth. This doesn't always show up until later in live when arthritis etc develop.

It is important to exercise mature joints(I have inherited Osteoarthritis in all my joints so have to do regular exercise to keep mobile), immature joints need restricted exercise.

Retrieving doesn't interest a Cocker ? How have you taught her ?? All the Cockers I know all love retrieving & finding things that have been hidden-it's what they are bred for.

Clicker training is an excellent way to stretch the dog's mental ability & 15 minutes of clicker training is equivalent to 45 minutes of physical exercise.

A Jack Russell that comes to our Pet training club, is a very active dog who rarely gets tired by physical exercise, however clicker training sessions leave him content & also very well behaved. You need to either look at clicker/motivational training classes, where you can learn how to teach her to do different tricks/exercises.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Ive spoken to quite a few cocker owners who have the same issues as Millie does. All varying ages and all been taken to the vet to make sure thier was nothing they could not see what was wrong all turned out fit and healthy as well its different for every cocker Millie walks fine when other dogs or my mum is with us cockers just like the feel of the pack to make them feel safe. She also walks perfectly well when its time to go home!

Id have thought though that growing joints should be exercised. I do find that mental stimulation like training and retrieveing games do nothing for Millie. A good walk does though
You really don't want to know do you?

As far as I can gather from your posts going back to when you first aquired your pup you have never wanted to really know.

Cockers are no different to any other dog.

What training games do you play?

rune
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You really don't want to know do you?

As far as I can gather from your posts going back to when you first aquired your pup you have never wanted to really know.

Cockers are no different to any other dog.

What training games do you play?

rune
I thought I'd already replied to a similiar post before...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2