Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Yip it was me .. a very good read
thanks!

Which book is it? Is it The DogVinci Code?

Did you still feel you learned stuff from it?

(thinking need some dog books for reading, getting a bit fed up with the chick lit )

Out of interest; what was the general 'recall rules' in this book?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
SB
again I ask

the OP says her dog is not eating while other dogs are around
EVEN after missing 2 meals he still is not interested in treats

How many more meals do you advise she witholds?
sorry, just thought I'd mention, two meals for some dogs isnt that much, some will miss like FIVE or SIX DAYS worth!!!

Just to clear up; I think this thread has taken a 'strange turn' maybe there is crossed wires here?

I think BM is saying that if the stimulus is too high for the dog then the dog will never eat?

SB Isnt suggesting starving the dog but just only offering the food for recalls and not giving the rest of the ration at night because by the next morning the dog will not be hungry enough and will 'bog off' so repetition cant set in...

Are we all on the same page?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
sorry, just thought I'd mention, two meals for some dogs isnt that much, some will miss like FIVE or SIX DAYS worth!!!

Just to clear up; I think this thread has taken a 'strange turn' maybe there is crossed wires here?

I think BM is saying that if the stimulus is too high for the dog then the dog will never eat?

SB Isnt suggesting starving the dog but just only offering the food for recalls and not giving the rest of the ration at night because by the next morning the dog will not be hungry enough and will 'bog off' so repetition cant set in...

Are we all on the same page?
I am not saying it will never eat - of course a dog is unlikely to die rather than eat somewhere he is too hyped to usualy refuse food

and one of SB's posts she told the OP that 2 meals was not enough to skip the dog had to be more hungry - so imo that IS suggesting starving the dog
I am now just asking her to clarify how many meals she thinks should be skipped, and how often they should be skipping meals
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I am not saying it will never eat - of course a dog is unlikely to die rather than eat somewhere he is too hyped to usualy refuse food

and one of SB's posts she told the OP that 2 meals was not enough to skip the dog had to be more hungry - so imo that IS suggesting starving the dog
I am now just asking her to clarify how many meals she thinks should be skipped, and how often they should be skipping meals

Yep fantastic logic yet again ( I would strongly suggest you reconsider your potential career in the teaching profession).

Skipping two meals does not = starvation.

I frequently skip more than one meal in a day, so do several dogs.

Dear oh dear oh dear................

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 06:55 PM
forgot - yup Ben would often miss many days worth of food - before I found raw

But whether he had eaten or not eaten for days his love for training was still the same - it was in no way based on hunger
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Just a couple of thoughts.

Change the rewards when you are out. If you are using biscuits in the house and garden, use, cheese, liver, hotdog etc. when you are out, whatever your dog adores.

Don't use a toy he has had before. Get a toy that is "yours". Maybe show it to him, play with it, them put it away. Dogs tend to want what they can't have!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Just a couple of thoughts.

Change the rewards when you are out. If you are using biscuits in the house and garden, use, cheese, liver, hotdog etc. when you are out, whatever your dog adores.

Don't use a toy he has had before. Get a toy that is "yours". Maybe show it to him, play with it, them put it away. Dogs tend to want what they can't have!

Thanks

I tried changing the food reward, it made no difference. I even took with bits of raw liver which he loves - he still chose other dogs over the meat.

That's why I think what SMOKEY BEAR says may just work because at present the treats are simply not meaningful to Dex as he is not that hungry

Wow, this thread is certainly lively!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yep fantastic logic yet again ( I would strongly suggest you reconsider your potential career in the teaching profession).

Skipping two meals does not = starvation.

I frequently skip more than one meal in a day, so do several dogs.

Dear oh dear oh dear................

Patronising, rude and uncalled for

The dog had already skipped 2 meals and you said that it was not enough - the dog needed to be really hungry
SO instead of insulting me how about just answering the question
How many meals do you advise skipping before the dog IS really hungry?

I never said skipping a couple of meals was starving a dog, your posts gave the impression you meant for the dog to skip several days worth of food - I was asking you to clarify what exactly you meant
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I am sorry, you are getting very varied responses. Our dogs are all so very different, I suppose we have all learnt as we went along, and what may work in one case may not work in another.

I would just like to say though, that I do not really like SB answer to this. If your dog will not recall for hotdog or cheese, then obviously food is not the answer. What does your dog LOVE most of all? A toy? Fuss? Praise? Whatever it is, reward with it when you are out, but never in your house.

Give really basic kibble rewards in the house, give something a bit better in the garden, and give the jackpot super reward when you are out! (Or the fuss, toy etc.)
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Tabitha, I've been reading this and I feel your pain! I can get a beautiful recall from Cain when there are no distractions however I fear that, once he gets off lead, he'll bog off into the distance at every dog he sees I hope you manage to sort this out, I'll be reading with interest as I'll be in the same situation in a few months!

I often use part of Cain's meals out on walks, partly because he loves raw, and partly to stop him gaining weight. What are the implications for bloat risks if a dog is eating all of it's meals outside during recall training? Normally you'd leave an hour or more between exercise and meals and feeding whole meals on walks concerns me...
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >