Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 12:00 PM

My garden trees - acer palmatums

The trees are looking quite spectacular this year, don't know what I've done to deserve this, and although the gleditsia (my fave) hasn't managed to come out yet, here are the acer palmatums which I just adore!

This one is the best it's ever been, last year it got damaged by April snow and didn't do well, but this year it's excelled itself. This is an Acer Palmatum Katsura which I've had for 3 years now:

This is the other view as I see it from the house

the leaves will turn lime green next and then orange and then bright red for the rest of the year until autumn when they all drop off, but then the bark itself turns red, it really is quite a spectacular tree.

This next one is a Sango Kaku, again an acer palmatum, and I've grown this over 3 years to this height, and again, it's the best it's ever been, so I think I will be planting this out in the garden soon, just gotta find a nice shady spot, coz it has liked it on the patio in the shade, and don't want to spoil things. I have another one of these in a pot, which has sage green and pink leaves, but it's struggling to come out atm.

This one is that feathery leaved one, can't remember the name

This one is the Japanese cherry tree, it has a proper name, but I've forgotten it! Plus it's still not quite out properly yet, but it's very leafy when it is and gives a nice bit of shade for the doglets (lol at Zena there getting in on the act!)

and THESE red robins, well I just can't believe them, I only had them all planted 18 months ago when we had the big leylandi trees taken out, and they've gone mad!! Anything I put in my garden just grows and grows and yet I do absolutely nothing to them, except give them lots and lots of water all summer long, so I suppose that helps!

I want them as a hedge along with the laurel that's inbetween each one, so it won't be long before we start chopping back at all of this! NOt ME of course, I'll get a man who can in to do that!

Thanks for looking, pretty isn't it!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
They are lovely I've got the one in the first picture in a pot (had it about 2 years) & am going to plant it when I can decide where & the red one I've got planted -it's only about 3 ft so far,but the leaves are full & lovely. I never knew what they were called though!!!
I hope mine grow that big!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
You must have that one I have there in the black pot then Tilly, which is the same as that tree! They like morning sun and shade, never afternoon sun coz it just burns the leaves, so be careful where you plant it! I'm trying to pick a suitable place for that potted one coz it's doing so well, it must be potbound by now! I like to show off with my Japanese names so I make sure I remember them (well most of them!)
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You must have that one I have there in the black pot then Tilly, which is the same as that tree! They like morning sun and shade, never afternoon sun coz it just burns the leaves, so be careful where you plant it! I'm trying to pick a suitable place for that potted one coz it's doing so well, it must be potbound by now! I like to show off with my Japanese names so I make sure I remember them (well most of them!)
yes we've had the leaves completely burn a couple of times & I've thought that's - it's dead, but then they've come back ok the following year!! I've planted the red one under the shade of a huge conifer & it likes it there - so need to find a good spot for the other one - thanks for the advice about what they like
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
They are beautiful Helena, I love acer tree's unfortunately I have no room in this garden for them.

The red robins do grow huge and quickly Gill had one and Mum has one and there's no stopping them once they get a hold.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
They are beautiful xxxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2010, 02:54 PM
It's all looking lovely H, the best thing about those red robins is the more you cut them back the more they produce their red shoots.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Just beautiful Helena,I remember when you got them all and they looked lovely then.Must be great to see them going from strength to strength each year
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a red Acer Dissectum (with feathery leaves)

Or at least I did have til Mo landed in it the night she chased the cat
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Glad you liked those, and I will make a note of what you say about the red robins Trouble, because it was the photograph you put up that persuaded me to get them, but haven't they grown!!! If I take the top of though, will that stop them from growing UP anymore, coz I really would like them about another 6" in height, but they can bush out as much as they like!

Lol Nippy!! Of ALL the places for her to land Bladdy cats!!!! It wasn't Mo's fault ya know

Thanks Steph and tink!