View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 09:40 AM

Puppy Versus Rescue dog - which would you choose & why?

I am opening a huge can of worms here but would like to get opinions on the above.

What is the decision making process when thinking about getting a dog, which makes one decide on a puppy rather than a rescue dog?

I ask purely out of interest, however readily admit that I feel very strongly about rescue animals as there are so many in desperate need of homes yet so many people get new pups rather than take on a rescue.

If I could get another dog , I would immediately go for a rescue rather than a new pup, as cute and cuddily as a pup is, I cant ignore the amount of abandoned dogs that are sitting in homes throughout the UK.
Opinions ??

Dani
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I think it depends what you are looking for.
When I got Teagan, I was specifically looking for a Bullmastiff pup. It was something i'd been researching for a while etc.

I would love a rescue dog though.

One thing I have noticed, and I didn't used to know...how many rescues there actually are.
If you ask a lot of people, they don't know about specific breed rescues, or other rescues. The only ones they know about are RSPCA/NCDL etc.
I don't think enough people are educated to know about the amount of rescues there are.
I know a lot of rescues won't let people with kids etc get a dog, so I think rather than doing more research, they go and buy a pup.
The internet opens up a whole new world of researching, and finding the rescues.

Before I got Teagan and joined doggy forums, even though I have been online for many years, I didn't know about specific rescues.

(Not very good at words, so don't know if I got across what I mean!)
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 09:46 AM
A good topic Dani- that is sure to get some interesting replies

I have *bought* two dogs as pups as I wanted to show but I have always said I will take in a rescue staffy in the future.
My heart says that you should opt for the rescue but then that makes me hypercritical because I never as my first choice
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2005, 09:47 AM
With your present dog Dani, I think you would find it difficult to get him to accept another Stafford male, I believe he would possibly take to a bitch puppy, either rescued or purchased.
Charliefarley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Before buying my first puppy I contacted Boxer rescue(can't remember which it was a long time ago).They said I was too young and inexperienced for one of their boxers I then managed to find a breeder and bought George.He lived a very happy life with me and I had no problems whatsoever.
This time around I wanted my son to have a puppy as i had never had that experience as a child(my parents always had rescues).
He's had that wonderful experience now so any dogs we add to the family in the future will be rescues I just hope I am deemed old and experienced enough now

Can anybody tell me if recues will adopt to a home with an intact dog already? I know they all have different criteria but wondered if this was a common concern? I know it is in the States.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

19-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I have had both - my last two dogs though I got from puppies because my OH had never had any pets before and he wanted to experiance puppyhood.

Although at the time I wasn't aware how many dogs are pts each year because no-one wants them and if we were to get any more dogs it would definately be rescue.
My cats all came from rescue apart from Lao who I found in a pet shop - he was only 4 weeks old and riddled in fleas.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Well with Kip we had the best of both worlds we took on a rescue as a pup....just because you want to take on a rescue dog doesnt mean you could not get a pup. Why not rescue a pup, there are always plenty whenever I walk around the shelters. I have in the past seen Tracie advertising SBT pups for rescue so it is not impossible to have the best of both worlds Dani

Just a thought. When we got Cassy I wanted a specific line of dog and a rescue was just not an option at that time.

Laura
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Charliefarley
Can anybody tell me if recues will adopt to a home with an intact dog already? I know they all have different criteria but wondered if this was a common concern? I know it is in the States.
As you say it depends on the individual rescue centre- I imagine it will also depend on the dog you are rehoming too (ie a young bitch who is as yet too young to be spayed etc)

I homecheck for two local centres and the dogs they rehome are spayed/neutered before rehoming. If they are too young the new owner must agree to have the op done when the dog/bitch is old enough.

One of the centres asks to see vet cards and details of neutering etc of present pets and up to date vacc records- the other centre isnt quite so strict

Having said that not EVERY rescue centre neuters but the majority do
Charliefarley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks Lel,I haven't got so far as contacting any yet(still working on OH ) I should realy find out,also if they would let me have another male
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2005, 10:21 AM
After seeing some of these poor dogs suffering in kennels when helping with Staff Rescue I have always wanted to rescue the forgotten "oldies" .

But at the moment with three of my own, it would be me who needed rescuing if I brought home a fourth... now all I have to do is convince my other half to visit the kennels, just once, and...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »