View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 12:35 AM

whats wrong with buying from newspapers/internet?

ive seen alot of people say its wrong and their 'back yard breeders' but the ones i have seen and spoke to have always been really nice and are always kc reg and have had health tests done. but i have also seen and spoke to awful people from there!

but im 24 the first place i even think of looking is the internet!

so is it really that bad if all the right health checks treatment of the animals is great?

how else would you let people know your having a litter? i know people say word of mouth.......but you have to start somewhere from them spread you around?!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I'd never advertise on here or in a newspaper, the majority of my puppies are sold befor ei even think of breeding and if there's any left the breed clubs recommend me.
I'd also take things thats said in hte newspaper with a pinch of salt imho
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 12:44 AM
I think it depends on where on the internet you look really?! I found Isla's kennel on the internet, but unless specific health tests are mentioned, I'm afraid I'm not interested!

There are many, correct ways of finding a dog on the internet, but Gumtree and the like is certainly a place I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

There are plenty of breed affiliated sites that could point someone in the direction of well bred pups, people advertising in places like Gumtree just give the impression that they either breed too often (and therefore have to advertise on such sites) or they haven't planned efficiently for the litter and so are advertising as a last resort.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I got storm through the loot(inexpeirienced then) and could not have hoped for a better dog, though I do think we were lucky as the papers and free ads do tend to be an outlet for byb.

Both Star and Skye came via the internet, this by doing lots of research, talking to breeders, getting reccomendations, visiting breeders and so on and so forth.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 12:54 AM
buying from a newspaper (local rag) could lead to impulse buying. what are the chances of a breed you've researched well being listed, regardless of breeding practices etc.?
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:13 AM
I have had my last 2 pups from the internet. But only through researching kennels and kc breeders.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:18 AM
I got Morgan from the newspaper but didnt know better, he was a one time litter and his parents werent health checked but then again in 1989 we werernt as health aware.
Before I bought him i went to look at a litter of English Springers, it turned out to be a puppy farm and the pups were really sickly put me off for life.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:25 AM
whats wrong with buying from newspapers/internet?
Because, put simply, the majorty of adverts are NOT from reputable breeders, and are BYBs and PFs !

It's different if you are researching the net and talking to breeders that way, but NOT the freeads papers and puppy selling sites, they are full of unethical breeders, even the ones that state their mission statement as building their site to stave off puppy farmers !!!

Reputable breeders don't need to advertise in local freeads, because they have puppy lists who have already been vetted etc. Reputable breeders only breed when they want a dog for themselves usually and/or have a decent list of people waiting ! The ones who advertise are the ones who breed for money, which is wrong, dogs are not cash machines !!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Some good points here re pedigree dogs but what about somebody that wants a mongrel ?

Imagine an add in the local rag advertising a litter of mongrels that are free to a good home.

This perhaps harps back to why people wouldn't go to 'rescue' and pay a fee for a bitza.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Because it's those that advetise dogs/mongrels for free that pave the way for those dreaming up ideas of making money by creating a new designer breed !
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »