Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:28 PM

Travel sickness - advice on how to prevent it

Does anyone have any tips for car sick dogs, My pup is nearly 6 months old, and is sick in the car nearly every journey. he used to ride in the boot, but now hes on the back seat with a car harness attached to the seat belt. which is better but he is still sick 8/10 times we are in the car! any ideas????
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2006, 07:47 PM

sorry no help with the car sickness though, but I'm sure someone will be along with advice shortly
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Ginger even a coupld of ginger biscuits before a journey can help ... worked with my shepherd
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
My BSD is 14 months and is still sick in the car on a long journey, but I did find that the ginger helped.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Cookie used to be so sick in a Car

We never fed her for a couple of hours before she went in Car,she also went in a cage that we covered over(We used a cotton sheet) so she could not look out of window.

She is now 100% Ok in a Car know matter how long she is in it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Adele first welcome to Dogsey ...there are a number of things you can do to help your dog . He may be suffering from motion sickness or simply afraid of the car based on past experience of being ill when travelling.
You can try putting him in a crate or dog box nd covering it so he can't see out of the window, looking out of the window can cause motion sickness.
Make sure there is plenty of fresh air in the car.

Ginger is good for sickness and has been used for this purpose in Chinese medicine for hundreds of years (it has also been scientifically proved to work). You can get a concentrated form of ginger by buying organic ginger cordial from the health food shops... add a little to water or mix into boiled white rice, or try grating a piece of ginger than squeezing out the juice and boil this with water and sugar to make a mixture that will keep for some days in the fridge. You can then mix this with a little boiled rice too and feed to your dog.

Finally you can try desensitise your puppy to the car.
To do this sit in the car for short periods with your dog preferably after a walk/meal when he may be more ready to sleep. Make sure it is not too hot in there and that the car is in the shade with the windows open . Listen to the radio or read a book for about ten minutes, do this frequently so that he learns the car is nothing to fear and going in it is no big deal. Then start with short journeys, only about ten minutes each time and build it up to longer periods.

If none of these things work you may have to resort to tablets from the vet for longer journeys .
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Welcome to Dogsey
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I think that car sickness is more often caused by stress than by motion. I had one dog that didn't like high speed. First he would try to get under the seat, then if I didn't slow down he would throw-up. I took him for plenty of short slower journeys and if I had to go a long way I would stop frequently and let him out for a few minutes. He was OK after a few weeks.
Jax2Terrors
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Is it still possible to get hold of those chains that dangle behind the mudflaps. I think they 'earth' the car. I know peeps used to use them when I was a child to help with travel sickness.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
ginger didn't work here but rescue remedy dose
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >