Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:15 PM

lifestyle and breed specific diets

What do folk think about all the diets around for not only different lifestages, but also different breeds. I feel sorry for my local petshop, it must be difficult to work out where to put them all!
Are they necessary?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Hmmm I'm not sure really. I think it is perhaps necessary for "large breed" dog foods due to their rapid growth rate.

Puppy food is needed, but perhaps not for a slong as they make out. Also senior/light food has been a god send for keeping the weight off Woody.

Not sure it's really necessary for different breeds though, not sure if I've ever seen any?
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Believeme, I've seen foods for labradors, poodles, german shepherds and daschunds - I'm sure there are probably others but it does seem to stretch credibility to say that until recently all these breeds were not being fed correctly
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tan
Believeme, I've seen foods for labradors, poodles, german shepherds and daschunds - I'm sure there are probably others but it does seem to stretch credibility to say that until recently all these breeds were not being fed correctly
Labs???? :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 All a Lab needs is a rubbish bin and a good sense of smell!

Seems very strange to have foods for specific breeds and a tad unnecessary. Can imagine some people would be taken in by it though.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Seems very strange to have foods for specific breeds and a tad unnecessary. Can imagine some people would be taken in by it though.
Its amazing what people can be taken in by. There is a boxer specific food with special shaped kibble because boxers find it hard to eat normal kibble Try telling that to my two
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Indeed, on holiday mine thought it had found Rick Stein's doggy restaurant in heaven when it found dried up dogfish on the beach - bit unpleasant afterwards though
I can see the sense in larger kibble for larger mouths, but that's about it surely?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Call me a cynical but I see it as a marketing ploy for one particular company to obtain the majority of the shelf space in a shop and therefore looks like that particlar brand dominates the market.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
Its amazing what people can be taken in by. There is a boxer specific food with special shaped kibble because boxers find it hard to eat normal kibble Try telling that to my two
That made me laugh Carole-has anyone been sucked in to that marketing ploy then??? Boxers are much the same as all Bullbreeds and i havent ever seen any difficulty in Vegas's eating!!!

I feed Vegas though on Aurtarky working dog food cause he's very energetic and tends to loose weight when being fed on food like Burns,JWB etc etc.
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2006, 05:24 PM
But surely these companies check out their audience first? Don't they go in for focus groups and the like, after all a product launch must cost thousands... or maybe the bemused dog owners they asked were taking them for a ride