Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
booboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2006, 07:09 PM

To Spay or not to spaY????

PLEASE HELP...i AM CONFUSED... i HAVE GOT AN EIGHT MONTH OLD BITCH DOBERMAN(SHES MY SECOND DOBE) and the breeder told me to have her spayed at around 7 or 8 months but she seems tooyoung..then others tell me its best to let them have a season then get her done...and then others say she should have at least one litter then have her done..as she is the first bitch i have owned i am very confused...any suggestions would be gratefully received....thanks
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 07:17 PM
There'll be someone along shortly with more knowledge about this, but for now you can have my opinion!

It's generally thought that it's better to have a bitch spayed after having had a season, something to do with the hormones I think? And then your vet would advise you to wait until she was midway between seasons before carrying out the op. So for example if your bitch had a season at 6 months, then the next one would be roughly 12 months so the spay should be done at about 9 months old.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh and someone saying that it would benefit your bitch by having a litter before getting spayed is a load of old twoddle IMO!
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
hi the vets i work for would reckommend that a large-breed dog like yours should be spayed between 12-18mths because she will be fully mature by then,hope this helps
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I personally left my bitch to have her first season then had her speyed 3 months after the end of her season. The hormones are more settled at this point and the procedure is less prone to complications compared to before the season.

I don't believe in having a litter 'because it will do the bitch good'. Just my opinion.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I would agree that she should have her first season and then be spayed about 2/3 months later, for reasons already stated, I too think its rubbish to let her have a first litter before spaying but that is only My opinion.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi BooBoo, this might help you to decide what to do.

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/dog-articles.php?t=12202

Dawn R.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi booboo, Im getting my Dobermann bitch done at 6 months, before her first season. My vets told me it makes absolutely no difference. Hope this helps

I agree with others though, having a litter first is nonsense!
booboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by booboo
PLEASE HELP...i AM CONFUSED... i HAVE GOT AN EIGHT MONTH OLD BITCH DOBERMAN(SHES MY SECOND DOBE) and the breeder told me to have her spayed at around 7 or 8 months but she seems tooyoung..then others tell me its best to let them have a season then get her done...and then others say she should have at least one litter then have her done..as she is the first bitch i have owned i am very confused...any suggestions would be gratefully received....thanks

Hello ...to everyone that replied to this thank you very much for your responses.....xxxxxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:26 PM
In my opinon i'd let her have a season first, and spay 2-3 months after this, reduces the risk of her being "trapped" in a phantom pregnancy.

And no no no no, a litter first is absolute garbage!
essbee
New Member!
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:29 PM
My vet told me recently that ideally they should be spayed before the first season as this rules out mammary tumours 100%! (not sure I'd ever do that tho'...)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >