Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 06:29 PM

deadly ticks in the uk! beware

heard about this today from a local vet. apparently the deadly tick from france may have migrated over here after a dog died from being infected by it. apparently your dog can die within 2 hrs of being bitten with the only symptoms being small things like loss of appetite, fatigue and being quiet. found this article:

Deadly dog ticks hitch a lift from Continent
By Joanna Bale
TICKS carrying a disease that can kill dogs and make human beings seriously ill may have arrived in Britain through the Channel Tunnel.

A British dog that had never been abroad died after being bitten by the rhipicephalus tick, known as the brown dog tick, which until now, has been confined to Mediterranean areas of France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and other locations in southern Europe.

It is the first time a pet has been killed by a tick on British soil, prompting fears that infected insects have spread to Britain on Eurostar trains or lorries. The dog, called Caffreys, was regularly walked by her owner, Janet Hunt, on a footpath near the Channel Tunnel terminal in Ashford, Kent. Foreign trucks park in a lay-by near the path.

The tick can carry a disease called babesia, which infects red blood cells, leaving humans with malaria-type symptoms including nausea, fatigue, fever, diarrhoea and anorexia.

Dogs’ immune systems destroy red blood cells infected by babesia to the extent that they suffer from fatal anaemia.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
It is the first time a pet has been killed by a tick on British soil, prompting fears that infected insects have spread to Britain on Eurostar trains or lorries.
So all that time I thought they were saying "Tickets please", they actually meant "Tickettes please" as in taking money from the female ticks for their trip to the UK. I knew it!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the information Jenny I have never hear of it before and as you say it is not species specific and humans can become infected. Lets hope it we a one off incident ...
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi, just like to point out, the only disease that is zoonotic is Leishmania & thats caused by the sandfly, Babesia is NOT zoonotic. There is info at the link below about theses diseases & what insects transmit diseases

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/svj/vol1501/chap3.pdf

also I`ve nursed a dog with babesia & he had noticable symptoms.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 06:24 AM
For the first time ever, I found a tick on Polo's chest last weekend. I got it off, it was disgusting! Apparently they are hiding out in nettles, of all things
Just left a raw spot which is now healing well and he is fine, health wise.
Luckily we get very few visitors from France here.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Id hate to see this cause any widespread panic !!!
Brown dog ticks dont have to travel in on a pet, they can survive off their host for while so it may not have even been brought in by dog per se. (Dont Deer ticks also carry babesia?)

Fipronol kills Brown Dog Ticks so theyre easy enough to get rid of.

I worked with a dog with erlichia (in California) poor guy had a double whammy....he was dx'd with Von Willebrands also, apparantly no one at the shelter bothered to so much as run their hands over him to check for lumps, bumps or bugs when he came in, he sat in a run for a week and then someone wanted to adopt him so they take him in to be neutered, open him up and then cant figure out why the bleeding is so bad so they put a huge pressure wrap on him and send him to the 'real vet', it was my day off when he came in, I go in the next morning, take him out of the cage to get him out for a short walk, run my hands over him....not checking him for anything just petting him....introducing myself to him....and I feel all these bumps...he was absolutely loaded with ticks so I ask the vet to run an erlichia test, they did, they also ran a full blood panel, he tested positive for both diseases, Im surprized he was still alive. He was on medication for over 18 months....the vet there adopted him, all the treatment was done for free and the last I heard he was doing well.
Meg
Supervisor

06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi Flipper No I don't think it will cause panic, but now we have the pet passport scheme and more people are travelling abroad with pets it is wise to be alert to these things..

I think this may be the case Jenny was alluding to...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4974814.stm
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Dont get me wrong, Im really sorry that the dog died from this and like any potentially fatal disease you dont want it spreading....Ill be bringing my own dog over though next week....Ive had enough problems to deal with even with all the paperwork in order...I can do without any additional problems.

She has to be treated for ticks, fleas and worms 2 days prior to coming over (24-48hrs) and her crate will be getting a good scrub beforehand.

I was wondering if this tick has only survived in UK due to the heatwave there recently but then I noticed the date was 2 months ago
Meg
Supervisor

06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Flipper
I was wondering if this tick has only survived in UK due to the heatwave there recently but then I noticed the date was 2 months ago
I think there is always the potential for the isolated incident like the odd ones we have with rabies over the years. I doubt the tics would survive our winter conditions.

(Have a safe journey Flipper and doggy companion )
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
blimey thats a worry living this far down south
on another note ticks from Portugal urm i can think of one

thanks for the info jen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >