Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Yes and, if it happens, it is your worst nightmare come true

She got a piece of softish raw bone (from a lamb shoulder) stuck in her throat. She was in a terrible panic. She tried so hard to bring it up that she lost control of her bladder and bowels. Her stomach bloated very fast.

I managed to push the bone down her throat. Forunately being a soft bone it didn't tear her on the way down.

I guess the chances of it happening are slim, but happen it most certainly can.

It was one of the most frightening experiences of my life
How frightening, this is something that worries me and the reason I started this thread, do you still feed raw bones or has this experience put you off?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah
How frightening, this is something that worries me and the reason I started this thread, do you still feed raw bones or has this experience put you off?
It certainly put me off!! Once was once too often for me.

Mine very, very rarely get bones. The only ones I would give are the huge, solid marrow bones - and I make sure to cut off any wobbly/gristly bits first. I always chop chicken necks & wings into 'swallowable' pieces as all my Boxers have been gulpers rather than chewers.

I would never want to go through that again and I would not want any dog of mine to go through that dreadful panic and helplessness. They have plently of safe chewing toys
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
It certainly put me off!! Once was once too often for me.

Mine very, very rarely get bones. The only ones I would give are the huge, solid marrow bones - and I make sure to cut off any wobbly/gristly bits first. I always chop chicken necks & wings into 'swallowable' pieces as all my Boxers have been gulpers rather than chewers.

I would never want to go through that again and I would not want any dog of mine to go through that dreadful panic and helplessness. They have plently of safe chewing toys
I agree, Loki seems to spend alot of time chewing his wings rather than just gulping them down, I do think I may look into getting minced bones as it does worry me him getting a bit stuck!
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2006, 12:57 PM
The benefits outweigh the risks, the important thing is to always keep an eye on the dog when it is eating raw bones
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3