View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Not sure if I have got this right as I only feed raw and not kibble but I thought you weren't meant to feed kibble in the same meal as raw as they take different lengths of time to digest which can cause problems.
I think you are meant to feed kibble at one meal and raw at another rather than mix them in one meal.
IHopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and confirm/deny the situation.

Lizzie
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey folks, why are you feeding extra protein and fat to a complete diet - surely that's the whole point of a complete diet? It's complete!
I gather too much protein is bad for pups, too much muscle growth on immature bones leading to joint problems later. In fact came across a toller with just the same problem not so long ago, he'd been overfed as a pup and now has a very odd gait.
Careful as you go!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tan
Hey folks, why are you feeding extra protein and fat to a complete diet - surely that's the whole point of a complete diet? It's complete!
I gather too much protein is bad for pups, too much muscle growth on immature bones leading to joint problems later. In fact came across a toller with just the same problem not so long ago, he'd been overfed as a pup and now has a very odd gait.
Careful as you go!
The pup I'm getting will be raw fed so I guess they do it to introduce them to it?

They've had several litters of very healthy pups so I ain't gonna argue!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel
Not sure if I have got this right as I only feed raw and not kibble but I thought you weren't meant to feed kibble in the same meal as raw as they take different lengths of time to digest which can cause problems.
I think you are meant to feed kibble at one meal and raw at another rather than mix them in one meal.
IHopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and confirm/deny the situation.

Lizzie
I have heard that too from a number of sources
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel

Lizzie
I have heard some people say that but a lot of people do mix it, I mix my mince with complete food & my dogs are doing great. I suppose its down to opinion & personal choice in the end.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist
I have heard some people say that but a lot of people do mix it, I mix my mince with complete food & my dogs are doing great. I suppose its down to opinion & personal choice in the end.
That's good then, I've heard you shouldn't mix raw with kibble, but if others are doing it and doesn't seem to cause problems (plus the pups are doing brilliantly on it) then I'm happier.
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi there

I think that kibble should be fed at one meal and raw at another. This was told to me a while back when I got my Bracco pup and was bringing her up on BARF. I wanted to include some kibble so was expressly told that I should NEVER feed kibble and raw at the same time as the digestive system cannot cope with it. You can add cooked mince to kibble but not raw mince. I can't stress enough how vehement she was on this and to be honest I was so scared I never have mixed raw with kibble!!!!

Kind regards
Annie
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I sometimes add a tablespoon of lamb mince to my two's food just lightly browned in boiling water not really cooked though. No problems so far but its such a little amount in a large plate of kibble.
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2006, 06:11 PM
hi
I'd just be careful about not overdoing the protein for growing pups - apparently it can lead to joint problems later, something to do with putting a lot of muscle mass on immature bones. I have seen it with one dog particularly, which was a shame for the poor thing which was only 18 month old.
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2006, 06:59 PM
HI

That's the problem with the commercial "puppy foods". They are full of protein which in fact isn't good for growing puppies in large amounts. Meat protein is different because it is pure protein. However, when the proteins come from unknown sources that is when problems can start. This is where problems with behaviour arise too. Its not the fact that a food is high in protein. It is actually the type of protein that it is high in. This is where the more commercial the food, the less likely it is to have good quality ingredients and hence the protein source will not be purely meat.

I think that puppy food, senior food etc., etc., is just a marketing ploy. Your puppy will do just as well on normal dog food. My working cocker wouldn't eat puppy food and I was beside myself worrying about his growth. He wanted to eat what the big dogs ate. He grew at the same rate and never had runny poo.

Adding a bit of mince to a bowl of kibble will not do any harm whatsoever but I would stick with cooked with cooked food, raw with raw.

I hope this makes sense!

Kind regards
Annie
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >