Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 04:29 PM
both our dogs get table scraps.. especially leftover veg which they LOVE

I don't let them have anything which is too heavily spiced or salty though (apart from pistachio nuts which they love, and also wasabi peas don't ask why )

In addition about once a week i will mix either a boiled egg or some mackerel fillets in oil into their normal kibble... and if they will be having longe walks or generally being more active than normal they get porridge for breakfast

I guess I spoil them a bit They are both very fit and healthy and certainly not overweight
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I think scraps are fine as long as you make sure whatever you are giving doesn't have too high a salt or sugar content. Also scraps should just be extra to normal meals, feeding scraps alone does not constitute a nutritionally balanced diet.

Mine too have a full christmas dinner with us + all the trimmings, every now & then won't do any harm at all.
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi there

Yes, giving table scraps is not too unhealthy as long as you stay away from the salty things - and the sugary things!!! However, every now and then mine get something a little different and they do fine. You have to make sure that you lower the amount of dog food you give though or you'll end up with a podgy doggie!!!

Kind regards
Annie
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
i did no that about gravey !!!! i will cut that down then ella loves her gravey
Our two have a bit of gravy on their food, but we switched from a cheap brand to a well known one as the cheap ones contain and enormous amount of fat and salt.

As long as you use a good gravy and don't over feed her (ie reduce her "dog" food to compensate for the titbits) I don't think you'll have a problem.

Variety is the spice of life as they say!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Mine get any leftovers, as well as the fat that comes out of the chicken when I do a roast, it gets poured over their biscuits and they go mad for it. I dont give mine gravy though as I have always known it to be high in salt, we dont have gravy at home that much anyway.

If I have 'accidentally' ( )cooked to much pasta or rice, then that gets added to their dinner as well as any left over veggies
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

01-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Heres a good link with info on adding extras to copletes

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#addfood
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
yep

ma wee pudding gets fed scraps too - his favourite kind of food - anything I eat he deems good enough for him !

have to admit though that Bruno loves nothing better than a wee bit left over chinese ( not the healthiest I know but he does love it and we dont eat it all the time - so dont think it will do him too much harm.)

he loves prawn crackers too !!!

his favourite by far though is spaghetti by far and its very funny watching him re-enact lady and the Tramp !!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Mine do get a few bits of table scraps but as there are four dogs the amount they get is minimal, just a taster really. mind you, the way they carry on you would think they never got fed at all!!

I usually cook up a few extra veg though when I do a full dinner, they especially like cabbage, doesn't do much for the aroma around the house though!!

As a general rule they have their two meals daily and the odd biscuit here and there.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Roxy cannot eat human food as her stomach is too sensative. But myself and OH have a strict rule of no table scraps anyhow. I do not like begging dogs it winds me up. And i think this is because of my dads JRT, who not only begs at the table but will now not eat dog food, ONLY human food!

Sometimes Roxy has eaten crumbs etc off the floor if my nephews are around but I try to prevent this also. VERY difficult with a 2 and 3 year old!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Roxy cannot eat human food as her stomach is too sensative. But myself and OH have a strict rule of no table scraps anyhow. I do not like begging dogs it winds me up. And i think this is because of my dads JRT, who not only begs at the table but will now not eat dog food, ONLY human food!

Sometimes Roxy has eaten crumbs etc off the floor if my nephews are around but I try to prevent this also. VERY difficult with a 2 and 3 year old!
Same here, it's one of my major pet hates!

Which is why ours only ever get scraps in their dish not literally from the table!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >