View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm never happy with anyone hiding something and was quite taken aback by the comments from the Burn's nutrionist.

I had a cat who died from liver failure at a fairly young age - our vet raised a concern with a certain flea treatment we were using and that there was talk about it causing this. When we started to dig around doors were slammed in our face. I have for a long time been wary of food/medicine manufacturers - both for human and animal consumption and think regluation is too slack!

I must admit to liking Burns food but we are going to try PAH own make next time round.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-06-2006, 06:36 AM
I don`t see them as hiding anything or threatening any particular person. Just protecting their food & to stop people making libellous claims about the safety of it.

I`ve been talking about this on another forum & heres what I found about menadione.

The UK government set up a task force to establish safe levels of vits & mins called the Expert Group on Vitamins & Minerals. After presenting their findings, UK governement decided to prohibit the use of Menadione because of its toxicity, in 2005, unless industry presented a safety report.

Menadione is the synthetic form of Vitamin K, known as Vitamin K3, also known as Sodium Disulphate Complex.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/evm-01-09p.pdf

JWB have said they don`t use, Burns are taking it out of their food.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 07:21 AM
the Natural Dog Food Company say on their site that they do not include any synthetic vitamins in their certified holistic food but I have emailed them for clarification regarding Menadione.
http://www.naturaldogfoodcompany.com/index.htm

I have also emailed Burns for confirmation that they are removing Menadione from their products.
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by AlbionLass
the Natural Dog Food Company say on their site that they do not include any synthetic vitamins in their certified holistic food but I have emailed them for clarification regarding Menadione.
http://www.naturaldogfoodcompany.com/index.htm

I have also emailed Burns for confirmation that they are removing Menadione from their products.
if you check whats in this it tells you all the vitamins CDEand K so looks like it might be in that as well.I mean how else would they put vit K in their food?maybe in some other form.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by sweetmimi
if you check whats in this it tells you all the vitamins CDEand K so looks like it might be in that as well.I mean how else would they put vit K in their food?maybe in some other form.

Menadione is a synthetic Vitamin K, there will be other natural forms that could be used, there are probably problems with shelf life, degradation and stability of the natural forms.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I think one has to be realistic about these things, all complete dogfoods have to contain a preservative of one sort or another or the fat content would turn the food rancid and it wouldn't have a shelf life at all.

If you choose to feed a complete food you have to accept this as a fact of life. Some complete foods contain a lot more harmful additives then others like BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin...
and to me taking into consideration there has to be some preservative added to complete food Menadione is the lesser evil.

There are a lot of dog foods which contain more additives than Burns, and it would no doubt suit some of the larger manufacturers to discredit Burns food which has become very popular (partly because Burns unlike some multinationals never used cruel methods to test food on dogs).

If people really don't want any additives in dog food the answer is to feed a good variety of fresh food preferably organic.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-06-2006, 08:49 AM
>>>If people really don't want any additives in dog food the answer is to feed a good variety of fresh food preverably organic.<<<

Couldn`t agree more M
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Have just recieved a reply from The Natural Dog Food Company, I also asked about feeding their food to puppies. Here is their reply;

'No Menadione or any other synthetic ingredients at all. The existing foods are also suitable for puppies – they need a little meat added – please call us for more information. We are launching a higher protein puppy food in month or so'
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2006, 11:38 AM
albionlass I have just had the same reply and have ordered some on line free p and p as well on the larger size.
I am unable to get any organic fresh food where I live, but I do give kibble in the morning and my own fresh home cooked food in the evening,
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I see from the Burns forum that they haven't bothered to reply to the posts people have added to the thread.....wonder why?
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »