Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Here is one device: http://www.woundwear.com/home.cfm

Do a google search for "leg brace" dog also use plural dogs

Quite a lot of info comes up - but whether the braces would be suitable and obviate an op I don't know - but I would be asking the vet about it.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Whilst I am delighted to hear it is not a tumour/cancer I cannot help but feel so sorry for you and Murphy.

The very thought of another op must be immensly disheartening for you That poor boy and you have been through so much already, it just doesn't seem at all fair that you have to go through another op.

Good luck at the vets, hope an op isn't necessary.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 06:52 PM
thanks Anne-Marie

Yes, it is very disheartening to think that Murphy may have to go through another op but like everyone has said, thankfully though it isn' cancer/tumour.

We take a day at a time and deal with whatever is chucked at us.

I'll let you all know what the vet says on Tuesday
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Poppy was diagnosed with luxating patella when she was around 5 years old. It used to cause her to screech in pain so I put her on some oil to make the joints more lubricated. that really helped and she has hardly ever been bothered with it since, although now of course she is on steroids which probably help on a number of counts Good luck x
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 10:47 PM
my mums bichon frise scruffy has a luxating patella, altho the vet rekons hes had it all his life. for him it just means that if he knocks his knee it slips out of place, but he puts it back in himself. He lived with it for 7 years, until he snaps his ligaments on both sides and had to have an op, but hes been pretty much fine since, just building up the muscle slowly, but hes walking fine on it now, just have to be careful how much he twists around.

glad its nothing as serious as u originally thought, but a shame its still bad news.
hope u find a solution soon
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2006, 06:46 AM
(((Hugs))) to you and Murphy...xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Good luck for Tuesday Stephanie
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Hi Stephanie. Missy ( 2 year old Staffie) also has a luxating patella. She's been limping since she fell at the beach 6 weeks ago. After several visits to the vet, we have decided to opt for surgery. X-rays showed nothing, including signs of arthritis. She's booked in for her op on 27th July. I know it's a few weeks away but it doesn't stop the worrying. My biggest concern is how the heck do I keep her calm ? She just wants to play and bounce around all the time, even if it's on 3 legs ! I hope it works out well for Murphy. I'll be thinking of you both as I know how it feels to be in this position.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Unfortunately surgery is likely to be the only way in a large dog, some small dogs manage well without (it is more common in small dogs) but in larger ones it needs repair. It seems to be connected to lack of angulation and malformation of the bones that the tendons are connected to. Continued slipping of the kneecap will in time cause permanent damage to the knee joint. It is sad that this particular dog is going to have to suffer yet more surgery but if done well and with correct after care it is very successful, once fully healed it should cause the dog no further suffering or trouble.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 08:39 PM
thanks everyone for your kind support.

Spoke with the vet yesterday and we are going down the surgery route as he feels that Murphy is a Grade 2 (Grade 4 being the worst) and believes that the groove does not need deepening (but mentioned something else that I've forgotten that will need fixing ) - Murphy is on rest again this week as then he will be xrayed sometime next week - the reason for the wait is, is that the area they need to go in for the op is where Murphy has just had the bone biopsy so we need to give that area some time to recover - but all in all its looking a bit more positive.

I will have a clearer picture next week and again will update you all.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >