Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 08:38 PM

Murphy has a luxating patella

It seems that the cause of Murphy's lameness is a luxating patella

When Murphy first went lame, within a few days I notice a clicking/popping noise coming from Murphy's leg although it wasn't continuous but it was very loud, I did do some research and thought it maybe a luxating patella then but the vet dismissed it and whenever Murphy was at the vet the leg wasn't making a noise but today when Murphy was there to have his staples removed the vet asked me to walk Murphy around the car park just to see how lame the leg still was and yo and behold the leg started making the popping kind of noise, so the vet had a good feel around the leg etc and he said Murphy has a luxating patella - at which point we all looked in despair it seems that this could of been the cause for his lameness and not a bone infection etc.

The vet said he would need to have a lengthy discussion with the orthapedic surgeon to decide where/when/how we go from here, we are obviously very concerned about another major op for Muphy as this would be his 3rd op in 18months, and about his 11 GA due to all the xrays etc. I will speak to the vet when I take my bunnie there for a check up on Tuesday.

Although in some way this is good news as this will hopefully mean no more worrying about Bone Tumours, but nonetheless it is still very upsetting as it seems to be one thing after another for poor Murphy.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 09:19 PM
oh stephanie i am sorry to hear this poor old murphy deserves a bit of good luck i hope you find a solution
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 09:31 PM
thanks Kelly, I think the only solution to this one is another op but at least it would be a good start again on the road to recovery for Murphy
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2006, 09:37 PM
poor Murphy he is due some good luck so fingers crossed this will be his last op if you decide to go ahead.
Meg
Supervisor

16-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi Steph (hug) what a time you are both having .
The news is certainly better than the suspected bone infection or cancer, but not the best news...poor Murphy. I wonder if the LP is painful or if he could live with it the prospect of another operation is daunting...
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 10:13 PM
What a shame ...poor Murphy. You must be due some good luck. Hugs and best wishes, Kath XX
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 06:28 AM
Oh Stephanie - I sincerely hope this will be the last time poor Murphy goes under the knife. Sending hugs honey xxx
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi Steph,
I know its not the best result for Murphy but its alot better than the tumour/cancer thoughts the vet first had. Poor Murphy though he has been through so much in such a short time & i can only imagine the stress & worry you have been under,my Amy has only had 1 operation & i was bad enough then.
Hopefully though now they know definately what is wrong with Murphy they can treat it properly & he can soon be on the road to getting fit & well again
He certainly deserves it after all he has gone through & so do you.

sarah
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

17-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Well, not the best news for Murphy but, thank heavens, not as bad as it might have been.

Is surgery the only option? What does your vet think about a leg brace?

Have you been prescribed painkillers? Be aware that they can make the situation worse as Murphy will not be getting the warning twinges that signal him to go carefully.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi SB

From the way the vet was talking i think they will want to go down the surgery root but Im interested in finding more about the leg brace you mention - do you have a link to some info at all ?

The only meds Murphy is currently on is Rimadyl (Which he's always on anyhow) and Sereqion which is to aid his joints and I also have him on Syn-flex. Murphy seems to instinctively know not to charge around - he really is quite amazing

Thank you all for your kind words of support
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >