View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I am afraid kids will be kids, and act accordingly.

Not sure I beleive ALL parents should teach ALL kids not to touch ANY dog they come across.

1) it may not be a priority on the parents mind, they may not like dog shave no contact with them , have no understanding of them, so better not to assume that (parents) they think as you do.

2) kids dont always do as they are told, so again, dont assume said kids even if dog savvy, will do as they should.

Always best to assume, you have to take averse action around kids , not expect the kids to be the ones with any common sense.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi SLB

this is where we differ.
as i dont think we can assume these kids werent 'parented'.
in this case, how do we know these kids werent told not to approach strange dogs?

would it truly be logic that every kid that does something 'wrong' (by wrong, we mean, behave as nature would dictate kids would behave), that they werent told not to do such and such a thing by their parents?

that logic would presuppose that all kids do everything their parents tells them at all times, including when their parents arent around???

ummmmm....tough one that

seneca was a philosopher. he said we should look at all the factors or variables of a given situation and work out in advance that if so and so are combined together, the likelihood of such and such a thing occuring is high, so if we plan for that eventuality occuring, then we wont have a problem.

for example, public park = kids
public park = dogs

dogs nervous of kids = have a go at kids?

kids in park = kids charging round acting unpredicatably

right, now i have made a decision to go to the park?
what shall i plan for and how should i plan it?

we do such things everyday, when we drive cars, for example.

the modern philosopher De Botton came up with a classic Senecan example of the night shifter worker complaining about the workmen making a noise.
his complaint could be they are making a noise just to keep to try and keep him awake?

or are they?

is it more the case they are making a noise and he is awoken?

as 2 reality streams will always inevitably coincide in an incompatible way in the same space and time.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hi SLB

this is where we differ.
as i dont think we can assume these kids werent 'parented'.
in this case, how do we know these kids werent told not to approach strange dogs?

would it truly be logic that every kid that does something 'wrong' (by wrong, we mean, behave as nature would dictate kids would behave), that they werent told not to do such and such a thing by their parents?

that logic would presuppose that all kids do everything their parents tells them at all times, including when their parents arent around???

ummmmm....tough one that

seneca was a philosopher. he said we should look at all the factors or variables of a given situation and work out in advance that if so and so are combined together, the likelihood of such and such a thing occuring is high, so if we plan for that eventuality occuring, then we wont have a problem.

for example, public park = kids
public park = dogs

dogs nervous of kids = have a go at kids?

kids in park = kids charging round acting unpredicatably

right, now i have made a decision to go to the park?
what shall i plan for and how should i plan it?

we do such things everyday, when we drive cars, for example.

the modern philosopher De Botton came up with a classic Senecan example of the night shifter worker complaining about the workmen making a noise.
his complaint could be they are making a noise just to keep to try and keep him awake?

or are they?

is it more the case they are making a noise and he is awoken?

as 2 reality streams will always inevitably coincide in an incompatible way in the same space and time.
I didn't disagree with you...just said you were using big words and I've just woken up and made a joke about leashing kids
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 11:49 AM
it does annoy me when kids assume every dog is ok. my dogs are good around children so i don t have to worry but it does annoy me.

i was always taught to ask before you stroke a dog, and its a habit i still do today.. even though i know most dogs wouldnt bite (mainly because i ask different breeds at shows and you know they are used to being handled, because they have to be gone over by the judge) but i still ask. i think its the polite thing to do.

i dont think kids are taught as much nowadays on respecting animals. i just dont think people think its as important to know these days.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I sympathise on this on as we have some right little oikes around here too that think its ok to jusy grab a dog. They have there own dog so seem to think its ok despite me telling them a number of times.

They only live a couple of doors down and in the summer run riot round the street (to get to there garden they have the right of way to go through nextdoors garden). Raina and Cassie are fine and are heppy to play with them but as a result of the screaming grabbing Ela is terrified of children now. We didnt know any kids when Ela was a puppy so the only contact she had was when the local ones saw her, now we know a couple of well behaved kids and she likes them so we are getting some where. Our new neighbours have a little boy as well who is a bit shy and much calmer but loves dogs so a few fusses over the fence is helping. The oikes are also moving soon which will be good!

In certain areas it seems kids can do what the hell they like because the parents really dont seem to care. Just the other day it was dark and must have been about 8pm yet there was a group of girls running round aged between about 6 and 10 with no adults anywhere to be seen. None of them where any i recognised so there where not from the houses in view. My mum would have never have let me do that!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I sympathise on this on as we have some right little oikes around here too that think its ok to jusy grab a dog. They have there own dog so seem to think its ok despite me telling them a number of times.

They only live a couple of doors down and in the summer run riot round the street (to get to there garden they have the right of way to go through nextdoors garden). Raina and Cassie are fine and are heppy to play with them but as a result of the screaming grabbing Ela is terrified of children now. We didnt know any kids when Ela was a puppy so the only contact she had was when the local ones saw her, now we know a couple of well behaved kids and she likes them so we are getting some where. Our new neighbours have a little boy as well who is a bit shy and much calmer but loves dogs so a few fusses over the fence is helping. The oikes are also moving soon which will be good!

In certain areas it seems kids can do what the hell they like because the parents really dont seem to care. Just the other day it was dark and must have been about 8pm yet there was a group of girls running round aged between about 6 and 10 with no adults anywhere to be seen. None of them where any i recognised so there where not from the houses in view. My mum would have never have let me do that!
A couple of children, a boy no older than 11 and a girl no older than 7 came to my door singing carols the other day, they only sang "we wish you a merry Christmas" - no other verses just that and expected money - I said to them - firstly if you sing me the whole song - I would appreciate it and secondly you ain't getting any money because your Mum isn't with you it's half 8 and I've got pots to do - sorry and shut the door. It's like Guy Fawkes and penny for the guy. - Sorry to go O/T
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 02:49 PM
BTW anyone who thinks children aren`t used to being sworn at (by their mums) hasn`t been in Iceland lately.
Pfft, most kids I know use far worse language than I hear from my husband who's a soldier!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
swearing at a child is never acceptable, finding the parents and giving them some is another debate, if it had been my child playing in the snow and without thought or malice had approached your dog and you had sworn at her you would have got a lot more back i can assure you.
Parents are to blame and not the children maybe you could have asked her where she lived and had a word with them, this is a people society with dogs in it and not the other way around, we are all ambassadors for all our dogs when we are out and about and i strongly feel swearing at at a child who was being a child shows dog owners in a terrible light.
I appreciate your situation with your dog but we are meant to educate others and not verbally abuse them.
Bring it on pet!

I wonder what your reaction would've been should your child have been bitten by my dog after creeping up behind us both and tapping it on it's rump? Hardly a nice friendly "pet" is it?

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i would assume kids by themselves with no adults present will be dog numpties, ie, just kids will just be kids.

id then assume it will go pear shape and take total avoidance.

so in your case i would have leaded my dog and walked away in such a way the kids coudnt catch us or werent near us.
id have my eyes on them behind me as well, and i would stick my hand out as a stop signal and/or say something if they looked like they were approaching.

reading it, it did look like you set up a situation you could have planned ahead and avoided?
Leading him would make him reactive so instantly a no no.

Do I think I could've avoided the situation? No, because if I could've I would've. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - you know what happened to me so it's very easy for you to show me how to avoid it! If I assumed every single child was going to slap my dog then we'd never get further than the next street.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think it was probably shock and the fact that she nearly had her fingers twisted off was the main cause for her swearing at the child.

I must admit I have been lucky most children ask and when I say no he isn't friendly with all people they accept it usually Ollie would bark at them before they got near him anyway which would stop them in their tracks and that gave me time to explain he would not be happy about being stroked or cuddled by them.

I do think though children need to be educated about dangers in life something sadly lacking these days it seems.
That had something to do with it! She's lucky I only used the word bloody, the shock I got made me shout "woah" very loudly first so I got most of it out of my system.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'm very lucky in that Henry adores kiddies so he wouldn't have been affected by the child touching him...it would probably be more like me dragging him away from the child.

However, I am a firm believer that adults should teach their children to respect dogs and always ask if they are allowed to stroke/touch a dog before doing so. What an earth would have happened had Oscar been the type of dog that turned on the child in fear?

Also, if you are on a walk and need to go a certain route to get there or home, it isn't always possible to deviate from that route just to avoid confrontation from something you aren't necessarily expecting to happen. Rips stated that Oscar gets comfort from her holding his collar, so she knew that he wouldn't instigate any trouble, it was unfortunate that the child, however well meaning, didn't ask if he was ok to stroke before she laid her hands on him.

I think that Rips probably swore as a knee jerk reaction.

I hope Oscar will be ok Em xx
Thanks luv, I was quite proud of how he reacted tbh. No noise or fuss, once he leapt into the air he settled back down quickly.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think it`s best to assume that any child is a potential disaster waiting to happen and prepare for trouble.
BTW anyone who thinks children aren`t used to being sworn at (by their mums) hasn`t been in Iceland lately.
Do you live on my street but haven't told me?!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I think a LOT of children nowadays aren't taught to ask first and aren't taught how to behave around dogs. We would get in trouble if our dog bit a child, but there seems to be no come-back for kids who scare/hurt dogs.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I think a LOT of children nowadays aren't taught to ask first and aren't taught how to behave around dogs. We would get in trouble if our dog bit a child, but there seems to be no come-back for kids who scare/hurt dogs.
Indeed. I did everything right, called my dog back and restrained him to prevent him frightening a child, yet somehow I'm in the wrong? I should've seen it coming apparently.

If only we could all predict the future, eh?!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »