View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Shepherds and collies - natural companions?

I`m seeing a lot of similarities in the way Daisy GSD and Alfie BC behave. They seem to have an affinity. Is it just these two dogs or have other GSD / Collie owners noticed it?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m seeing a lot of similarities in the way Daisy GSD and Alfie BC behave. They seem to have an affinity. Is it just these two dogs or have other GSD / Collie owners noticed it?
Not if you speak to the owners I know, bl00dy collie or Gsd is the cry at many agility shows!
I think if they grow up with the other breed they can be really good together but both breeds have long memories of offences and generalize breeds far too well
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
My GSD's best friend is a collie.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I thought you meant the human shepherd and collie when I saw the title and I thought - yes, definitely

I have always had collies and GSDs together and I think the two breeds compliment each other very well indeed.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Having had GSDs since 1958 & BCs since 1970 all my GSDs have loved BCs/WSDs & vica versa Even had someone's GSD attack one of my BCs & he never retaliated & it certainly didn't make him aggressive towards GSDs.

It depends on the character of the dogs IMHO & if they have typical correct characters & temperaments they don't have problems.

Even my Beardies got on with my GSDs & BCs & vica versa & Star, the all black GSD I helped show, adored any Beardie & would make a beeline for any Beardie she saw
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Polo and Tara don't really like each other but then that's just because Polo is a grumpy git. Tara just tries to keep out of his way.

However, Tara got on brilliantly with my first collie. They were inseparable.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-10-2012, 06:03 PM
GSD's are one of the few dogs that H (RC) will actively seek out to play with and share zoomies with, it's their play styles which are quite similar i've noticed..and body language at times etc.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Collies are zena's biggest nightmare They hate her and she usually reciprocates if they launch an attack which many have, one only the other week when Dave was in charge of her and she was ONlead!

I remember being at an open obedience show with my breeder a couple of years ago, and she commented to keep a tight hold on Zena coz those collies somehow "set them off" she was right!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
The lodger's two girlfriends are collies. But he's not a GSD...

Actually one's a bit Spaniely around the edges, but the other's a proper selectively Moody Border. She wins if they're both out.

Weirdo
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Ours get on really well with my son's GSD's even when they don't see each other for months.

However on a walk a GSD had a pop at Bruce...and it wasn't going to be a good walk as neither would let it go.... we had to turn back

I have always thought on the whole though that ours prefer other collies or shepherds and apart from that one time we don't get any issues they seem to team up well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >