View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Malka - this cat did not wander into the yard where these dogs were - they got out and went onto the cat owner's yard.

I entirely agree with the sentiments expressed by dizzi above - it's not the first thread I've read where all seem to agree the dog owner should 'do the right thing' in the beginning then, when the bills sound high or it seems they won't necessarily lose a court case - it starts going the other way - bottom line is some poor woman's cat was injured by the dogs and this woman has ended up with a vet bill. Dogs that were not on the lead, on their own property or under control at the time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post

Do the decent thing and don't start trying to dodge out of it now - you'd expect the same if it was your pets that had been hurt. If you're going to start wriggling out - I actually hope the cat's owners DO sue you - it sounded at the start like you were going to do the moral thing, now you're looking like you're starting to want to wriggle.

The OP isn't trying to wriggle out of anything, they have written from the outset that they have written they will pay, but will find it difficult.

When the local hunt's hounds killed a cat in similar circumstances, the police did nothing despite the incident being reported to them(they didn't even visit or log it as an"incident"the "master" of the hunt paid £5(& this was only a couple of years ago)to the elderly owner on the grounds of the age of the cat(over 20 !) The owner of the cat in this incident couldn't sue just as the elderly lady in our village couldn't, because cats are not considered to be fully domesticated as dogs & horses are etc are.

I feel for both parties in this as I have dogs & had cats up to last November when someone killed my remaining cat & dumped her body outside my gates, but your post is way OTT
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:02 PM
You can sue.

The domestication or otherwise of an animal that is killed is irrelevant.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Hmmmmmm in no way did I get the impression that Stormpants was trying to wriggle out of anything?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Do the decent thing and don't start trying to dodge out of it now - you'd expect the same if it was your pets that had been hurt.
I sincerely do not think for one moment that the OP is trying to dodge out of anything

I can verify, as I know the OP, that this was a total one-off - it would be quite different if her dogs were regularly off lead in places they shouldn't be... They never are, and never have been.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You can sue.
The domestication or otherwise of an animal that is killed is irrelevant.
This is somewhat true, it falls under a different Act - but the owner of the cat has to initiate it (and have the money to pursue it). However there are some exclusions which seems strange to me; when my pet rabbits were ripped out of their secure hutches & killed by a dog when I was a teenager, we were told nothing could be done, and it does seem rabbits are excluded from that particular Act whether they are held securely, domesticated, or not.

Although I am not a legal expert - and the vet report has not yet been seen - the OP and these dogs is of previous good character, and the cat's injuries are not consistent with a dog attack per se, but maybe due to collision during flight. If a civil (private) prosecution was to be pursued, the cat's owner could be on dodgy ground there. If of course the vet report outlines external or internal injuries consistent with received contact from a dog's mouth, then things may change slightly.

I do wonder - sadly - that the fact one of the OP's dogs is an [English] Bull Terrier may be lending undue weight to this, from the cat owner's point of view. I've actually been in the company of the OP and her dogs, and heard people walking past comment that the dog is a "Pit Bull" and pulled their children away However her other dog - a lab/collie cross, has never drawn such comments, and this whole situation may have been held in a different light if he had chased the cat on his own.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 10:23 PM
tbh, in reading all of this, how well do you know Dottie's previous owners?? Strikes me a bit odd that they havent tried to reason with their neighbour they know so well to try and alleviate anything..
I think its a very unfortunate incident, but likewise wonder if the cat was actually injured by the dogs ( i.e.: did anyone see the dogs touching the cat?) On that basis would it not be hard for anyone to prove that they did in court?

I would go round without dogs speak to the cat owner and get permission to speak to their vet to try and ascertain costs and payment options. Would also allow you to see exactly what injuries cat had etc.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
As for it being on a credit card dont let them try stick you with interest as it was their choice to put it on a credit card.

To be fair, they may not have had any choice about putting it on the credit card. £800 plus is a hell of a lot of money to find if you are not in good circumstances. Some vets will not allow payments by installment because too many folks don't keep up the payments afterwards.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
tbh, in reading all of this, how well do you know Dottie's previous owners?? Strikes me a bit odd that they havent tried to reason with their neighbour they know so well to try and alleviate anything..
It strikes me as odd too...

I'm trying to imagine if I had been negligent about closing my garden gate and a visiting dog I had previously owned got out, how I would feel. She seemed keen to pass the buck quickly and ensure she didn't get landed with the vet bill.

If it were me, I would have felt largely responsible, morally if not legally.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2012, 05:23 PM
HELP!!!

Just had missed calls from the cat's owner, I have been at the shop all day and had my phone on silent.

She has said on the answer phone message that the vets will only let her have £40 off of the bill and they want the rest of it (don't know exactly how much it is - £8-900 she said) otherwise they won't take the wire out of the cat's jaw!!!

What on earth?? Is she making this up, or can a vet really do that???? There's no way we have the money to pay anywhere near the full amount!!!

I have to ring her back ASAP, so any advice would be appreciated before I speak to her!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Have you considered speaking to Tailwaggers?

http://www.tailwaggersclubtrust.com/

You could approach your local paper..........

Have you got a CAB near you?
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »