View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Oh dear, that does potentially complicate things.
Where about in the country do you live ?
The law on dog/animal attack is different in Scotland and England. If your in England I don't think there's much will be done, if your unlucky, police might pay you a visit for a word. In Scotland though the law is stricter and you might face a control order.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Ask nicely to see the bill and then chat to the vets involved and ask if they would agree to instalments. Be VERY sorry and crawl to everyone involved.
If the police do get involved ask Trevor Harrison for help---I think Smokeybear has the web addy but you can ring up.
In fact it might be an idea to chat to them anyway. Morally it is right that you pay the bill but I am not sure about legally?

rune
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:20 AM
In the UK.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 10:02 AM
oh poor you. What an awful situation. Glad to hear the cat seems to be on the mend now.

I agree with Rune. Make contact and be very very nice and sympathetic even in the face of tempers. Perhaps then, some sort of amicable arrangement can be made to pay for the vet's bill.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I have made contact (text) and asked if she had paid yet. I said that if it was by credit card, I could maybe pay some of the minimum payment for now. I apologised again and said that is was an accident as we didn't realise that the gate had been left open and it wasn't the type of thing that we let happen all the time (ever before this!) as we know how they are with cats!

She replied back tersely that it was our fault the dogs were out of control and on her property (her front garden is not fenced off, it is open to the road) and that they have sought advice and said we are liable and must pay the bill. Thing is she said it was £900, not 800. So, I have said that we want to see a copy of the bill before we pay anything!

Gutted as all we can physically afford at the minute is £10 a month towards the bill, which is nothing!!!!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Oh how horrible for all involved!
Hope you can come to some sort of arrangement!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm so sorry, I've got nothing to offer - it's all been covered really. As SB said 'there but for the grace of god etc....'
Jake's had a go at a couple of small dogs before now when he did his Beechers Brook leap from the garden - fortunately there was no damage in our case but I can remember how sick and traumatised I felt so can relate a little. I do hope you can get something sorted out amicably but it sounds as if the lady is going to demand her pound of flesh, not saying she shouldn't but you clearly are very upset about all this and are acting responsibly so maybe it wouldn't hurt her to be a little kinder.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
I have made contact (text) and asked if she had paid yet. I said that if it was by credit card, I could maybe pay some of the minimum payment for now. I apologised again and said that is was an accident as we didn't realise that the gate had been left open and it wasn't the type of thing that we let happen all the time (ever before this!) as we know how they are with cats!

She replied back tersely that it was our fault the dogs were out of control and on her property (her front garden is not fenced off, it is open to the road) and that they have sought advice and said we are liable and must pay the bill. Thing is she said it was £900, not 800. So, I have said that we want to see a copy of the bill before we pay anything!

Gutted as all we can physically afford at the minute is £10 a month towards the bill, which is nothing!!!!
Poor you, poor cat!
I too would accept responsibilty for the bill, however if you have not got the money then there is nothing you can do, it doesn't make you a bad person.
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much now its done, just offer what you can afford be it £10 a month. Even if it went too court the court would not order you to pay money that without you couldn't afford to live. It would be installments of however much you can afford.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Thet haven't saught advice---that is what you say when you want to frighten someone!
If her area wasn't fenced then its kind of irrelevant that it is her property.

Get in tough with Trevor Cooper___I got the name wromng last time---sorry!

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I doubt very much that the police would be interested.

If you injure/kill a cat on the road, you don't have to tell anyone or even stop. If the same happens with a dog, horse etc you have to stop & also notify the police of the accident.

The definition given in the Act is that a dog shall be regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person,.................................

Dog on dog attacks/fights, injury to a cat, injury to another dog are not covered under this legislation unless a person is injured or there are reasonable grounds for apprehension that the dog will injure a person.
Unless your dogs also attacked or attempted to attack a human there would be no case under the DDA
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »