Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
Oh how horrible....

though if I'm being completely honest i'd rather put down an elderly animal than put it through surgery.
Would depend on the animal - my cat is at least 13 - she ain't got that memo yet and is in a condition that would shame a cat HALF her age. I'd put her through surgery in a heartbeat - because, apart from being utterly and incredibly cheesed off at the indignity of it all (although she adores the vet - probably because he tells her how amazingly shiny and gorgeous she is) - I might think differently for an obviously ageing puss who was already firmly in their twilight years.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I totally disagree. The dogs are the OP's sole responsibility and that responsibility includes their safe containment. The OP assumed the gate would be locked rather than checking. Obviously it was just an accident but the OP's friend can't shoulder any blame for leaving a gate unlocked in HER garden where she can do as she wish. It isn't up to the OP's friend to think about how to control and contain someone else's dogs; that is down to the owner.
Needless to say, I disagree with you. Of course the owner of the animals is responsible for her dogs but I also believe the person whose property she was on by invitation has a duty of care to ensure the animals can't escape. The householder should ensure anyone on her property should not come to any harm and if that means locking the gate she should make sure the gate is locked. She can do as she wishes and leave the gate unlocked but that displays a level of irresponsibility and negligence when the dogs were there by invitation and behaving like dogs.
Moral of the story is leave the dogs at home where you can control the environment.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I totally disagree. The dogs are the OP's sole responsibility and that responsibility includes their safe containment. The OP assumed the gate would be locked rather than checking. Obviously it was just an accident but the OP's friend can't shoulder any blame for leaving a gate unlocked in HER garden where she can do as she wish. It isn't up to the OP's friend to think about how to control and contain someone else's dogs; that is down to the owner.
HAve to say i agree.

It is no different than taking your dog anywhere. Unless the owner has specifically devolved responsibility for her dogs to another party, they are responsible for their dog.

If you take your child to a house and it runs out and gets killed, whose responsibility is it?

Yours of course, you have a duty of care to that child )dog, cat etc) and the facts are that because you owe a duty of care to something (someone) and you have failed, you are thus guilty of negligence.

So, the cat owner could actually sue the owner who owes the duty of care to their dog AND anything/anyone that is harmed due to their acts and/or omissions.

Then the owner can sue the owner of the property if they so wish.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I sympathise with the predicament you find yourself in but feel more sorry for the owner of the cat she has had and no doubt loved for 16yrs she must have been very distressed to see her beloved long time pet in pain and distress. And many cats live much longer than this (in answer to whether it is kinder to have it put down - I've had one live beyond 20 myself)

I don't think who should pay is up for discussion - your dogs - your responsibility. They were off lead and not under control.

I just hope the poor lady owner of the cat isn't put through any further distress by having to foot large vet bills not knowing if she will be reimbursed or indeed having to get involved in any discussion about who is 'legally responsible' to pay them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I sympathise with the predicament you find yourself in but feel more sorry for the owner of the cat she has had and no doubt loved for 16yrs she must have been very distressed to see her beloved long time pet in pain and distress. And many cats live much longer than this (in answer to whether it is kinder to have it put down - I've had one live beyond 20 myself)

I don't think who should pay is up for discussion - your dogs - your responsibility. They were off lead and not under control.

I just hope the poor lady owner of the cat isn't put through any further distress by having to foot large vet bills not knowing if she will be reimbursed or indeed having to get involved in any discussion about who is 'legally responsible' to pay them.

Could not agree more, it is not her fault that the OP does not have insurance, did not ensure dogs were secure etc.

If the dogs had got run over on their way to the cat and cause a car accident, injured the occupants and had huge injuries to the dogs I wonder what the OP would do then ?

(Not having a go at OP but I would ask the same question of anyone).
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Legally it is entirely the responsibility of the OP. Morally I think if I were the original owner who left the gate open I would feel obliged to chip in with the vet bill. It's definitely worth asking her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Anyway, let us hope the cat is ok, which is the main thing.

I think many of us are thinking right now

"There for the Grace of God..........."

I know I am.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Anyway, let us hope the cat is ok, which is the main thing.

I think many of us are thinking right now

"There for the Grace of God..........."

I know I am.
Absolutely.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 09:07 PM
What a horrible situation you find yourself in, and there but for the finger of fate go a great many of us. I really don't think that there is any point in blaming anyone, or even blaming the dogs, it is just a series of events that led to a nasty incident. We potentially have the same thing likely to happen here in our own garden on many nights of the week - I still think that Jimmi seriously injured a cat on one occasion (he was badly scratched himself) but the cat was nowhere to be found despite much searching and asking around.

I really do feel for you, and perhaps it might be better not to wait until the cat's owners contact you but to ring them or grit your teeth and go to see them. If they realise how upset you are by this, and that you are not rolling in money, then perhaps something sensible can be sorted out.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Well, I've just had a text from Dottie's old owner saying that the vet bill was £800!!!!

Also, the cat's owner wants to get the police involved, as she did imply on the phone that it could be a child next!!!

I just sent a really terse text to Dottie's old owner about the cat's owner and now feel bad!! It was probably just the shock of the huge bill and knowing she and I cannot afford it!!! I responded that way because of the shock of the content of the text too and have just sent another, nicer one to follow! I really should talk to the owner, but I really don't know if she would want to talk to me as she's quite rightly probably furious!!!

I feel terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least the cat is fine though!
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »